sharetrader
Page 298 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 1982482882942952962972982993003013023083483987981298 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 14308
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    I'm curious where you get this often repeated figure of $100 million bribe to the media from.

It seems wildly inaccurate though am happy to be corrected.

Govt support to the media is clearly published & transparent for the last financial year.

The big media companies recieved -
    TVNZ was biggest beneficiary with $5 million, + $1.1 million advertising spend.
    Stuff, $2.37 million, + $1.15 million advertising spend
    NZME (Herald and ZB radio ) $2.19 million + $1.9 million advertising spend

The rest spread among small publications, paywalls etc.

(In 2020 the govt announced a $50 million support package to help media through the Covid pandemic. Of that $50 million, $21 million was to cut transmission fees ).

Important to be reasonably in the ball park esp when often repeated, otherwise people might begin to accept $100 million as fact.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...--who-got-what
    You are correct, in 2020 Ardern's government announced a 50 million package, just months before the election. This, at a time Robertson told us the economy was doing well.

As I suspect you know, Labour has followed this up with a further 55 million. So, i was short by 5 million. I will try to remember to say 105 million in future.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    You are correct, in 2020 Ardern's government announced a 50 million package, just months before the election. This, at a time Robertson told us the economy was doing well.

As I suspect you know, Labour has followed this up with a further 55 million. So, i was short by 5 million. I will try to remember to say 105 million in future.
    Better still make it 110 million for a while to cover the shortfall.

Guru

55m million (17m per year) over three years administered by NZ on air to provide local content.

Guru

Under National we saw the sad display of "X factor NZ" alongside reality tv shows.

Hopefully this can provide some more acceptable programs.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 18-09-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Advanced Member

Cheers Jonu, it was a genuine question, think I read somewhere they've given out around $31 of the $50 million last year & I wasn't aware of the recent announcement of $55 million spread over the next 3 years.

Of course I completely disagree with your claim it has any influence over content though.

Of course I completely disagree with your claim it has any influence over content though.
    Of course you would.

Indoctrinated devotees seldom question what is obvious to others.

Guru

Cheers Jonu, it was a genuine question, think I read somewhere they've given out around $31 of the $50 million last year & I wasn't aware of the recent announcement of $55 million spread over the next 3 years.

How can you disagree with the content claim? Some of it was tagged for particular content around Maori issues.

Advanced Member

How can you disagree with the content claim? Some of it was tagged for particular content around Maori issues.

Ha, well some of it was also 'tagged' for Kiwi Gardener, Rugby News, NZ Geographic, Wine NZ, NZ Petrolhead, NZ 4WD, Bay of Plenty Business publications, NZ Business Management, etc, etc with particular content around their particular issues,
    - but due to the Covid Support Package being framed as a bribe, I presumed we were talking about influencing content to be Labour propaganda.

Maori issues are New Zealand issues & need a voice too.

Just as the govt provides funding for Mike Hoskings or Barry Soper, two of the govt's staunchest critics through NZME, or provides funding for playlists solely of Kiwi Music through NZ On Air, the govt has no control or influence over the content of what any of our media broadcast or publish in a way which I think you're implying.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 18-09-2021 at 10:43 PM.

IMO

Yes thanks for some reason and balance Blueskies ,it negates the paranoia and spin .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuP4jOc4ibo

Only months out from an Australian election so the submarine deal comes at a good time for ScoMo.

To be delivered sometime after 2050, after he's long deceased.
    Do you know about ScoMo's health we don't?

I wouldn't be surprised if The Americans were not the main force urging the Australians to break their enormous French naval contract. The USA would not want Australia to fall too much out of their direct sphere of influence. It also means US companies benefit from the work. This nuclear sub deal ensures that Australia will remain in lock step with the USA. Militarily, the UK basically does what the USA wants them to do, perhaps more so after Brexit. There will be some spin off too for UK companies too.

It reinforces that NZ and Canada are not in the inner circle of the five eyes nations.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-09-2021 at 09:09 AM.