sharetrader
Page 315 of 1429 FirstFirst ... 2152653053113123133143153163173183193253654158151315 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 14286
    Guru

It might be more productive and useful to encourage vaccinations, rather than turn it into an unrelated issue.

We shouldn't become like the US, or australia.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 29-09-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...d-unfit-agency

The Government has directed Oranga Tamariki to devolve some of its decision-making and resources to community and Māori organisations, after yet another report criticises the troubled child protection agency.

Children's Minister Kelvin Davis on Wednesday made public a report from a ministerial advisory board he asked in February to inspect Oranga Tamariki's relationships with whānau, iwi and Māori, and its social work practices and organisational culture.

The board, which included some of the agency’s hardline critics, said Oranga Tamariki was "self-centred and constantly looks to itself for answers", and made a series of recommendations that have been accepted wholesale by Davis.

The report is yet another black mark on the record of Oranga Tamariki, which has routinely faced scandal as it has struggled to reform itself after it replaced its predecessor, the Child Youth and Family Agency, in 2017.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...D4UGDIBMG5KPY/

paywalled

Excerpts :

"This Government is running out of fingers to plug the holes in the dyke. Observe the body language of the Prime Minister and it's obvious to me at least the pressure she's under. She was fidgeting with her face mask to such an extent in Parliament's debating chamber yesterday that the audio had static. It's as though the stable door's been ripped off its hinges and the horse is nowhere in sight. Everyone's being caught by surprise, with the Government being about as transparent as a brick wall."

"Expect Jacinda Ardern to head off overseas in November as well. A tip-off to the up-coming travel was checked out with her office with a spokesperson saying "no travel has been confirmed and would be dependent on the domestic situation with Covid. They're political weasel words which we have to listen to daily. Ardern will be hoping the dyke will withstand the pressure between now and then."
    Yeah, read that, Barry Soper, at the end really wondered why I bothered. Very shallow article.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Yeah, read that, Barry Soper, at the end really wondered why I bothered. Very shallow article.
    99% of opinion (or any other content for that matter) on the NZ Herald is rubbish, and it's all paywalled. Opinions are like the proverbial. Why you would pay to read that kind of low content garbage is anyone's guess. It is all part of the continuous dumbing down process that is going on in New Zealand.

Guru

News driven by AI would be nice (no need for $100m subsidies).

Google news can deliever copy and pasted stuff to my device of choice.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    99% of opinion (or any other content for that matter) on the NZ Herald is rubbish, and it's all paywalled. Opinions are like the proverbial. Why you would pay to read that kind of low content garbage is anyone's guess. It is all part of the continuous dumbing down process that is going on in New Zealand.
    That article is not actually paywalled. Agree that opinions in the MSM are let us say variable, but there are some columnists worth listening to, even if only to disagree! And IMO Barry Soper is one of them - simply because he has been in the political journalist role for a very very long time. Very different experience to the 20-somethings who seem to write most of the regular columns. No problem to disagree, but I'll bet all the politicians read his columns.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    That article is not actually paywalled. Agree that opinions in the MSM are let us say variable, but there are some columnists worth listening to, even if only to disagree! And IMO Barry Soper is one of them - simply because he has been in the political journalist role for a very very long time. Very different experience to the 20-somethings who seem to write most of the regular columns. No problem to disagree, but I'll bet all the politicians read his columns.
    Exactly.

One can choose to who to read and not to read.

To be aware of what is being discussed out there rather than be blissfully unaware.

Barry Soper's article today really is about how Cindy, after promising open and transparent government, is anything but. And the secrecy now extends to even ministers taking overseas trips after the backlash over the hypocrisy of James Shaw flying himself & 8 others half way around the globe to attend a conference where NZ does not even get to address the conference!
    Last edited by Balance; 29-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Guru

Is the racist Labour government sending a dog-whistle message that child abuse is an exclusively Maori issue? I take great umbrage at that idea. I would have though that it was a ‘human’ issue. Europeans, Pacific Islanders, Asians all have these issues as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Exactly.

One can choose to who to read and not to read.

To be aware of what is being discussed out there rather than be blissfully unaware.

Barry Soper's article today really is about how Cindy, after promising open and transparent government, is anything but. And the secrecy now extends to even ministers taking overseas trips after the backlash over the hypocrisy of James Shaw flying himself & 8 others half way around the globe to attend a conference where NZ does not even get to address the conference!
    Was Damian's trip secret or did the media never think to ask?
    As for the PM travelling - sounds like gossip but should she say, at the earliest stage, that she is thinking of travelling sometime, maybe?
    Unfortunately, Barry is a good reporter but not so good when he becomes a gossip columnist.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    Is the racist Labour government sending a dog-whistle message that child abuse is an exclusively Maori issue? I take great umbrage at that idea. I would have though that it was a ‘human’ issue. Europeans, Pacific Islanders, Asians all have these issues as well.
    You will hear what you want to hear.