sharetrader
Page 32 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642821325321032 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    You all do realise that the prosecutions are for actions before the eruption and not for the subsequent action of some of the same people?
    Are you suggesting because some of the same people put their own lives at risk after that they shouldn't be held accountable for what they may have done prior?
    Gordon Campbell eloquently identified the cynicism of Ardern's government in making sure their own actions won't be held up to scrutiny while at the same time hanging out to dry those who acted heroically in the absence of leadership from the appropriate authorities.

Beyond Contempt!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Are you saying they would have been prosecuted anyway if the eruption had not happened ? I don't think so. I agree with Campbell (who normally praises Labour), this stinks of political interference. Shame on Labour.
    No, i'm not saying that.
    They would be prosecuted no matter what they did after the eruption.
    Some people seem to be running the idea that because the pilot risked his life to save people after the eruption he shouldn't be prosecuted for his alledged actions prior.
    Like the petition that has been organised.
    I have no idea if any of the people are guilty of anything but that is for the court to test - not me. Worksafe feel that there is a case to answer.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Gordon Campbell eloquently identified the cynicism of Ardern's government in making sure their own actions won't be held up to scrutiny while at the same time hanging out to dry those who acted heroically in the absence of leadership from the appropriate authorities.

Beyond Contempt!
    They aren't being prosecuted for their 'heroic actions'.

There are many analogies that could be used.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    They aren't being prosecuted for their 'heroic actions'.

There are many analogies that could be used.
    And neither is Cindy's government being questioned for its reaction. The lack of an inquiry while going after individuals and covering their own arses is even more disgusting than their politicisation of Pike River for their own ends.

No inquiry into the Covid Response either, despite the biggest spend up of public money in our history. Do you see a picture emerging?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    And neither is Cindy's government being questioned for its reaction. The lack of an inquiry while going after individuals and covering their own arses is even more disgusting than their politicisation of Pike River for their own ends.

No inquiry into the Covid Response either, despite the biggest spend up of public money in our history. Do you see a picture emerging?
    Is there any chance a coronial inquiry will address the issues being missed ?
    I agree.....think an inquiry was needed. And maybe charges as well. Most of us have no idea if the operators were perhaps gungho about the risks....I'd like to see a forum where those issues are appropriately addressed.

Going back in history with the Helicopter Company and linking it to White Island seems wrong.

Guru

The expensive stupidity and incompetence of Cindy's headline hogging "Climate Emergency" begins to emerge in detail. Aint it grand how she seeks to embellish her own standing with our money?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...r-new-cruisers

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Going back in history with the Helicopter Company and linking it to White Island seems wrong.
    Yes it does seem wrong, and certainly has got ordinary folk riled up.

However, Worksafe has one assumes followed the rules and cannot just overlook safety breaches it comes across while investigating. Breaches must be major if the company and other defendants are potentially up for huge fines. Enough to put them out of business or make sure in the case of scientists they CYA a lot better in future.

A few years back the NZ Initiative did a good report on scaffolding, and concluded that the rules were not and could not be justified on cost benefit grounds.

Hopefully the government will close down for a few weeks over the holiday break ....and give us some peace.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Hopefully the government will close down for a few weeks over the holiday break ....and give us some peace.
    Do you mean from Jonu etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I agree it was and is getting worse under this PM. The economic and monetary response to Covid probably aggravated a pre-exisiting situation. Successive governments have let it get worse. However would the electorate (or the part of the electorate that actually turns out to vote) have voted into office a government that had meaningful policies that tackled the housing supply and affordability crisis head on? I think the crisis will have to get worse before voters will support the changes necessary.

I am certainly glad that we had a Cindy and not a BoJo, a Donald or even a ScoMo as PM during Covid.

How Boomers changed the rules and past generations pulled up the property ladder on today's
    Youth...
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/300175287/how-past-generations-pulled-up-the-property-ladder-on-todays-youth
    The housing crisis relates directly back to the political actions of Douglas and Richardson
    and their introduction of Rogernomics policies.
    “Leave it to the market” did away with the Ministry of Works and the State Advances resulting in developers no longer catering for low cost homes (built on a bare section, no garage, fencing or landscaping.) Instead they realised more money could be made building homes for the high end of the market resulting in todays crisis.
    In the present political climate there is no way the State Advances or MOW departments could be reintroduced. Labour is too scared of the reaction of the low taxes brigade to take the necessary action. And National campaigned on low taxes and less government. Blame the politicians.
    Blaming the so called “boomers “ is an easy cop out for the likes of opinion writers like Bernard
    Hickey.

westerly