sharetrader
Page 341 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 2412913313373383393403413423433443453513914418411341 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 14320
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Yes, and along those lines, in light of the removal of Race overtones in sports teams names globally, very PC, the Warriors rugby league team could be renamed? as? any suggestions davflaws? or any body else?

My crew know them as the Worriers..
    Is "Warrior" a term that pertains to a particular race? Unlike
    "Crusader" which pertains more to a particular religion and specifically to those on one side of a religious war.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    "Crusader" which pertains more to a particular religion and specifically to those on one side of a religious war.
    'Crusader' is often associated with Christianity and the Crusades.
    But, of course, people go on a crusade about many things now.
    It could be said that Greta is on a Climate Change crusade.

The way the Maoris almost totally wiped out a peaceful people who offered zero resistance means they should think twice before using Warriors in anything. They are anything but warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    The way the Maoris almost totally wiped out a peaceful people who offered zero resistance means they should think twice before using Warriors in anything. They are anything but warriors.
    Who is "they"?

And you forgot the bit about "Clueless Cindy and Covid for Xmas".

Guru

However not even a shadow of the long history of barbaric events committed by Europeans?

Legend

I was not referring to failure from either thee or me.

In any case, your synonyms and antonyms could apply both to Maori and European societies.
    Yes, they could. But not as common by any means.
    Have you seen Alan Duff's movie 'Once were warriors'?
    Was there any truth in the depiction of Duff's characters?

Do some research on prison/court stats. and ask a few criminal psychologists or police.

Here is Duffs own experience which could make a starting point for you, although I suspect your mind is not open to this information if you don't already realise the problems in NZ society. "Once Were Warriors, and Duff's fiction in general is strongly influenced by his childhood experiences. In his 1999 autobiography, Out of the Mist and Steam, he describes his Māori mother (and most of her relatives) as alcoholic, irresponsible and physically and emotionally abusive. His Pākehā father and his relatives, by contrast, were highly educated and sophisticated—one uncle, Roger Duff, was a well-known anthropologist; his paternal grandfather was liberal magazine editor and literary patron Oliver Duff."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Here is Duffs own experience which could make a starting point for you, although I suspect your mind is not open to this information if you don't already realise the problems in NZ society. ..."
    You do make some assumptions in tangential asides!

FWIW I am totally aware of the problems in contemporary NZ society, and unlike some I think both the criminality and and the socio-economic factors behind it should be addressed.

Yep, pretty disgusting if its true, however well topped by plenty of genocides across the globe, many of them executed as well by Europeans.

The native American genocide (some 50 to 100 million innocent natives killed over roughly 500 years) was executed mainly by people with European roots mainly coming from Britain and Spain). Disgusting lot.

The famous holocaust (5 ... 6 million innocent Jews killed in German occupied areas of Europe) was executed by European people (Germans and support staff from most East European countries). Disgusting lot.

Holodomor - Stalins equivalent of the holocaust killed between 2.5 and 7.5 million innocent people (the big span is because many have been killed by famine, death not so easily attributable ...) was executed by Russians. Disgusting lot.

I could go on like that for hours ... here is a link for anybody interested to get a fuller picture, including even the Queensland Aboriginal genocide committed by our Australian brothers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll

... and I don't remember any race or people which didn't commit at some stage crimes against humanity, if they had the opportunity to do so. Same with all major religions. Disgusting people the humans. No point to point fingers to one specific group of people or race.

But know what makes humans really disgusting? Some of them, and it is often the worst of them, see only the flaws of the others and think that they / their race, nation or religion is superior. These people really are a disgusting lot.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 11-10-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

There was the US civil war -- to free the enslaved black populations and defeat the rebels.

Also some british interventions to end slavery on principle.

I do think the statues for these losers should be taken down in the southern states.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 11-10-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Yep, pretty disgusting if its true, however well topped by plenty of genocides across the globe, many of them executed as well by Europeans.

The native American genocide (some 50 to 100 million innocent natives killed over roughly 500 years) was executed mainly by people with European roots mainly coming from Britain and Spain). Disgusting lot.

The famous holocaust (5 ... 6 million innocent Jews killed in German occupied areas of Europe) was executed by European people (Germans and support staff from most East European countries). Disgusting lot.

Holodomor - Stalins equivalent of the holocaust killed between 2.5 and 7.5 million innocent people (the big span is because many have been killed by famine, death not so easily attributable ...) was executed by Russians. Disgusting lot.

I could go on like that for hours ... here is a link for anybody interested to get a fuller picture, including even the Queensland Aboriginal genocide committed by our Australian brothers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll

... and I don't remember any race or people which didn't commit at some stage crimes against humanity, if they had the opportunity to do so. Same with all major religions. Disgusting people the humans. No point to point fingers to one specific group of people or race.

But know what makes humans really disgusting? Some of them, and it is often the worst of them, see only the flaws of the others and think that they / their race, nation or religion is superior. These people really are a disgusting lot.
    So is the upshot of all of that, that when Europeans arrived in NZ, they would have felt perfectly at home with Maori, and didn't have to teach them a thing?