sharetrader
Page 368 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 2683183583643653663673683693703713723784184688681368 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 14320

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Not as easy as it sounds with an individual who at the time was heavily committed, both time and dollar wise. He doesn't like to use cliches, and certainly doesn't often mix them, but he did tell me he was up to his eyeballs with too much on his plate.
    All the more reason to use an outside tax consultant?

Anyway, such is life but minimizing tax is every taxpayer's own responsibility.

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."

Gregory v. Helvering, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934)

"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere can't."

Commissioner v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848, 851 (2d Cir. 1947)
    Last edited by Balance; 26-10-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Guru

By 'advantaged and disadvantaged' are you meaning the well off and the struggling? Or are you thinking of advantages and disadvantages other than financial?
    Diverging Wealth and the diverging advantages that brings.

Also, the result of the various grievance settlements may be beneficial and but the process may stoke the grievances and make for a less cohesive or unified populace in the meantime.

I love when people think taxes can and will solve any inequality. It's not like government has a huge track record of inefficiency and failed promises, whatever side they come from.

Want to solve inequality? You won't. It's impossible. All you can do is maybe teach everyone how to work and how to work with money they make by working. That's the only way people can be lifted of poverty. By working out of it on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    I love when people think taxes can and will solve any inequality. It's not like government has a huge track record of inefficiency and failed promises, whatever side they come from.

Want to solve inequality? You won't. It's impossible. All you can do is maybe teach everyone how to work and how to work with money they make by working. That's the only way people can be lifted of poverty. By working out of it on their own.
    Communism was supposed to solve inequality, remember?

It failed so miserably that even Russia & China abandoned communism - it's there only in name.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."

"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere can't."

Yes, most of us are aware of all that. But avoidance is not as simple as having a better tax advisor. Some people the friend I was referring to knows, actually find that evasion mixed in with a little avoidance works quite well for them.

Yes, most of us are aware of all that. But avoidance is not as simple as having a better tax advisor. Some people the friend I was referring to knows, actually find that evasion mixed in with a little avoidance works quite well for them.
    Evasion? Best to steer a million miles clear from even a hint of that.

Legend

Evasion? Best to steer a million miles clear from even a hint of that.
    Exactly. I've told my friend to be careful of the companies he keeps.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post

It depends on the abilities and skills people are born with too, and their market values. Tax settings can further affect inequality of wealth and financial gains.

Consequently there will always be a trade-off with the tolerance to the effects of greater inequality (lack of obedience and identification with society or a common cause.)

Capitalist propaganda. Neoliberal propaganda. Biased misleading information used to further the interests of capitalism.
    Many people would not agree because they understand that taxes provide roads, hospitals, education, all of which help to make a civilised society.
    In spite of what the quote says not everyone arranges their affairs to keep their tax as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Capitalist propaganda. Neoliberal propaganda. Biased misleading information used to further the interests of capitalism.
    Many people would not agree because they understand that taxes provide roads, hospitals, education, all of which help to make a civilised society.
    In spite of what the quote says not everyone arranges their affairs to keep their tax as low as possible.
    Those are quotes from the judgement - based upon the law. So forget your labels and insinuations etc.

When the government shows that it can spend my money better than I can, I will happily hand over most of my income for the government to look after me.