sharetrader
Page 394 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 2943443843903913923933943953963973984044444948941394 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 14320
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    That is what I thought too.

I have immune compromised friends and family. I won’t be going to venues that do not require vaccination proof. Even though I am double jabbed. I do not want to take the risk of passing it on.
    You’ve got Delta aye. Good on you for not going to events and passing it on. Please continue to isolate.

Guru

‘Bail outs for event organisers : Let’s do this!’

$200 million in the pot!
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 09-11-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    You’ve got Delta aye. Good on you for not going to events and passing it on. Please continue to isolate.
    I think you may have misunderstood. I did not say that I had Covid.

I am in Auckland. So currently everyone needs to keep to bubbles, apart from a few exceptions, including outdoor connection with whanau and a few other limited exceptions.

Quiet Observer

That is what I thought too.

I have immune compromised friends and family. I won’t be going to venues that do not require vaccination proof. Even though I am double jabbed. I do not want to take the risk of passing it on.
    Its been discussed on the Coronavirus thread ad nauseam, so apologies for mentioning it again, but surely you understand that plenty of double-jabbed folk do still get Covid, and certainly can still "pass it on" ?????

Yes, the risk levels for vaccinated folk is reduced (for a period), but there is certainly still a material level of risk which only increases as time goes on.

Perhaps you won't be able to go to venues for a while yet?
    Last edited by FTG; 09-11-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FTG View Post
    Its been discussed on the Coronavirus thread ad nauseam, so apologies for mentioning it again, but surely you understand that plenty of double-jabbed folk do still get Covid, and certainly can still "pass it on" ?????

Yes, the risk levels for vaccinated folk is reduced (for a period), but there is certainly still a material level of risk which only increases as time goes on.

Perhaps you won't be able to go to venues for a while yet?
    Precisely - which is why as a double jabbed person, with a reduced risk of contracting covid albeit still with some risk, I would prefer to go to venues with a policy of excluding non vaccinated people, who have a much greater risk of carrying a covid infection and passing it on.

Obviously with an immune compromised family member I will still take other precautions, including going to any venue only when necessary even when settings for others have been loosened, wearing a mask and using sanitiser often.

Quiet Observer

Precisely - which is why as a double jabbed person, with a reduced risk of contracting covid albeit still with some risk, I would prefer to go to venues with a policy of excluding non vaccinated people, who have a much greater risk of carrying a covid infection and passing it on.

Obviously with an immune compromised family member I will still take other precautions, including going to any venue only when necessary even when settings for others have been loosened, wearing a mask and using sanitiser often.
    Good to hear to that you do truly understand the ongoing risks. As we know, there have been numerous daily examples in Europe, US etc where events with ONLY vaccinated attendees have still contracted the virus from another infected attendee(s).

Example. Some family friends (a couple) attended a dinner with two other couples in Munich. ALL six people were fully vaccinated (within the prior 4 months). Because they were eating & vaccinated they didn't wear masks at the table. However, it was later realised that one of the husbands despite "being healthy" at the time was actually infected. Of the remaining 5 people at the dinner, another 2 subsequently were confirmed to have been infected. No obvious rhyme or reason, but the remaining 3 were clear, including the wife of the originally infected husband!

So yes, if you really want to protect vulnerable friends & family, you certainly would be wise to act with "an abundance of caution". Possibly even being proactive & super picky about which events (even those with only fully vaccinated attendees) you actually attend.

Keep in mind it's a numbers game. The more vaccinated people at the event, the higher the chance that there is at least one that may actually be transmitting.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FTG View Post

Keep in mind it's a numbers game. The more vaccinated people at the event, the higher the chance that there is at least one that may actually be transmitting.
    …and the greater the proportion of unvaccinated folk in the crowd; the greater the likelihood of having transmitting people nearby. The vaccinations do not eliminate transmission but they do reduce it. I think we are probably on to the same thing. Risk cannot be eliminated, so it is about trying to cater for risk mitigation for our particular circumstances.

People should not be lulled in to a false sense of security with vaccination. The risks of infection and serious illness are reduced but not eliminated. Other protective measures should still be maintained, especially where underlying conditions are involved.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 09-11-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Quiet Observer

People should not be lulled in to a false sense of security with vaccination. The risks of infection and serious illness are reduced but not eliminated. Other protective measures should still be maintained, especially where underlying conditions are involved.
    Bang on. With you having highly vulnerable family/friends i can now see that you clearly take the responsibility seriously. Sadly, it may mean "staying in the Cave" a bit more than you ideally wish. I have some empathy for your situation.
    Last edited by FTG; 10-11-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Legend

M.P. Nanaia Mahuta is away on a tour to six countries as our representative. At least we can be fairly confident she will identify herself as being from Aotearoa.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 10-11-2021 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling error fixed

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    M.P. Nanaia Mahuta is away on a tour to six counties as our representative. At least we can be fairly confident she will identify herself as being from Aotearoa.
    Let's hope she won't get back ... or does the MIQ lottery not apply to the special people?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)