sharetrader
Page 413 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 3133634034094104114124134144154164174234635139131413 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,130 of 14320

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Supplies is a problem for all building whereas my point was really that not all builders had the skills for more intensive builds.
    So how does Singapore build tens of thousands of homes each year with very limited resources and skills?

Answer is actually very very simple. Only the clueless cannot see it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    So how does Singapore build tens of thousands of homes each year with very limited resources and skills?

Answer is actually very very simple. Only the clueless cannot see it.
    Would you compare the average NZ size house to a Singapore dwelling? Thought not. I wouldn't either.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 18-11-2021 at 02:55 PM.

"There is something wrong with a regime that requires a pyramid of corpses every few years." George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Would you compare the average NZ size house to a Singapore dwelling? Thought not. I wouldn't either.
    And what's the problem with Singapore home size? All I see around me here are people who complain they can't buy a house, yet the minimum they want is 4 bedroom. Why? To store the crap they buy and don't use.

You want to solve housing crisis. Flood the market with solidly built middle sized apartment buildings, 1 and 2 bedrooms. Give FHBs what they need, cheap starter homes.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    And what's the problem with Singapore home size? All I see around me here are people who complain they can't buy a house, yet the minimum they want is 4 bedroom. Why? To store the crap they buy and don't use.

You want to solve housing crisis. Flood the market with solidly built middle sized apartment buildings, 1 and 2 bedrooms. Give FHBs what they need, cheap starter homes.
    All we hear is average home, average price, average wage. All of those are choices, some choose better than average, some not. Average wage might be a bit different, so reframe it as average household income and it looks different. Add a working partner, some skills, extra hours, second job, a boarder or two and that average wage no longer looks relevant. It is going to take a while to save a deposit so use that elapsed time to increase household income. Or not.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    All we hear is average home, average price, average wage. All of those are choices, some choose better than average, some not. Average wage might be a bit different, so reframe it as average household income and it looks different. Add a working partner, some skills, extra hours, second job, a boarder or two and that average wage no longer looks relevant. It is going to take a while to save a deposit so use that elapsed time to increase household income. Or not.
    Good point - half the homes are 'below average', half the prices are 'below average' and half the wages are 'above average'.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    I didn't know there was a problem.

Yes, I would.

Come up to Auckland and see what kind of dwellings people are paying $1m+ now for.

Around the corner from me, a block of 3 bedroom 3 storey terrace houses went for $1.35m+! Total area of dwelling is 85 sq meters.

In contrast, a 4 bedroom unit in Singapore sells for around $500,000 all the way up to $900,000.
    Last edited by Balance; 18-11-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Yes, I would.

Come up to Auckland and see what kind of dwellings people are paying $1m+ now for.

Around the corner from me, a block of 3 bedroom 3 storey terrace houses went for $1.35m+! Total area of dwelling is 85 sq meters.

In contrast, a 4 bedroom unit in Singapore sells for around $500,000 all the way up to $900,000.
    You couldn't pay me enough to live in Singapore though.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in Singapore though.
    The issue being discussed of course is how Singapore can build tens of thousands of affordable homes each year for its citizens.

Nevertheless, to your point, there are a lot of expats there who are living the good life.

Two of my ex-colleagues returned back to NZ last year after working there for over 15 years and they absolutely loved it - clean modern efficient city with all the conveniences and great holiday destinations all within a plane flight or a car drive away.

Plus, Singapore would not want someone like you - that's for sure!
    Last edited by Balance; 18-11-2021 at 04:43 PM.