sharetrader
Page 70 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374801201705701070 ... LastLast
    Membaa

Jacinda getting a roasting in the press, they see through her charade?

Guru

Our genius of incompetency Andrew Little front and centre again.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

A person Australia deemed dangerous enough to strip of citizenship will be free to walk among us the minute she arrives.

Good one Andrew.

Oh...and Cindy has his back, even though she publicly tore a strip of Scott Morrison for stripping the woman of citizenship because she didn't want "Australia's problems".

Good one Cindy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Our genius of incompetency Andrew Little front and centre again.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

A person Australia deemed dangerous enough to strip of citizenship will be free to walk among us the minute she arrives.

Good one Andrew.

Oh...and Cindy has his back, even though she publicly tore a strip of Scott Morrison for stripping the woman of citizenship because she didn't want "Australia's problems".

Good one Cindy.
    What Australia deems is not necessarily right.
    I gather you are a person who judges things without looking or knowing the facts.
    What do you think we should do with this woman and her children? Lock them up (72hrs wouldn't be enough for anything) or what.
    What is her crime and what is the punishment available?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    What Australia deems is not necessarily right.
    I gather you are a person who judges things without looking or knowing the facts.
    What do you think we should do with this woman and her children? Lock them up (72hrs wouldn't be enough for anything) or what.
    What is her crime and what is the punishment available?
    I didn't say what Australia did was right. I was highlighting the stupidity of Ardern and Little.

The child is an innocent player here. Last I heard (the mother) being a member of a terrorist organisation was illegal. If she's suspected of that, yes lock her up and let her go through the bail/court process, like you and I would have to.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Jacinda getting a roasting in the press, they see through her charade?
    Maybe the media have realised that the gloss is wearing off a wee bit, and that the mood of the nation may result in a change of government in 2023. And f they don't look slightly more balanced in their reporting they might not get the taxpayer handouts in the future. So thinking about survival.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Maybe the media have realised that the gloss is wearing off a wee bit, and that the mood of the nation may result in a change of government in 2023. And f they don't look slightly more balanced in their reporting they might not get the taxpayer handouts in the future. So thinking about survival.
    Labour's handouts to the Press have gone largely unscrutinised. Surprise, surprise. An extremely unhealthy situation for our democracy....but great for Cindy, using our money to ensure she escapes any rigorous scrutiny.

The Press are hardly going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Hard to see why a second handout was even considered. The economy, we were told, was strong.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Labour's handouts to the Press have gone largely unscrutinised. Surprise, surprise. An extremely unhealthy situation for our democracy....but great for Cindy, using our money to ensure she escapes any rigorous scrutiny.

The Press are hardly going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Hard to see why a second handout was even considered. The economy, we were told, was strong.
    It is scary if what is being reported is true, that the PM has done a deal with Morning Report on Radio NZ to appear on their program at the time of her choosing and to discuss a topic of her choosing. Putin would be proud to have compliant media like that.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...ital-gains-tax

Some good recommendations/suggestions from IMF on how to make housing affordable and accessible for NZers.

Unfortunately we all should know that Cindy & her team of incompetents are pre-occupied with remaining in power to do nothing than they are to solve real problems with real solutions.

Clueless - that’s the best description of Cindy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...ital-gains-tax

Some good recommendations/suggestions from IMF on how to make housing affordable and accessible for NZers.

Unfortunately we all should know that Cindy & her team of incompetents are pre-occupied with remaining in power to do nothing than they are to solve real problems with real solutions.

Clueless - that’s the best description of Cindy.
    While I agree that we need a CGT I don't see how it will fix any housing issue.
    We already have the brightline test for everyone (except your own home within reason) and traders get taxed on their income.
    Even with a CGT at 33% (which it wouldn't be) investment property is still the best game in town for leveraged capital gains.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    While I agree that we need a CGT I don't see how it will fix any housing issue.
    We already have the brightline test for everyone (except your own home within reason) and traders get taxed on their income.
    Even with a CGT at 33% (which it wouldn't be) investment property is still the best game in town for leveraged capital gains.
    I don't think the IMF is looking for a quick fix but rather, a change in direction of how NZ's housing market has been treated as a commodity for profiting. You can fact check this but since 1991, home ownership has been on the decline. I can see this with my own eyes of more and more houses that go for sale, end up in the hands of investment consortium groups (that pool individual incomes in like the same manner way as Robert Kyosaki's (author of Rich Dad Poor Dad) has with his seminar promotions over in N. America).

I've read utter non-sense from the anti-CGT camp saying any such tax will have sellers adding that tax amount to the purchase price of the home. WHAT??? That's not gonna happen.

The primary goal for a CGT on houses is to reduce the demand of these rental consortiums by discouraging the use of houses as a means of profiteering. While not 100% effective, this has been done well in places like Canada and in the US, you can read below for the data:

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/t...w-it-all-began

Yes large cities like Vancouver still experienced high housing prices ; no different to NYC and SanFrancisco. But the real measurement of having a non-housing crisis is simply by the % of families and individuals that OWN their home. What i've seen in Vancouver is detached houses continue to be owned by family dwellings, etc. and for those that choose the rental path, they do so by living in high density apartments (something that Auckland has difficulty in achieving due to the restrictive RMA). Anotherwords, individuals simply can't compete with the private investors when it comes to bidding on a house for sale.

As for houses being the best way to profit in NZ? A CGT will certainly reduce that demand making ventures like house flipping less common (note this would not affect those in the business buying and selling houses) ; what we're speaking of is the useless brightline test of 5 years. These investors simply mortgage on multiple houses for retirement in 10 or 30 years later as the capital gains would be tax free.

Now, will the Labour gov't bring in CGT? Not likely. I don't think any form of new taxes will be on the table.

Lastly, can anyone suggest who actually benefits from the rapidly rise in housing prices? The high income earners that are able to leverage so they can own multiple homes ; maybe the top NZ 5%? Shame on you. The 95% left will suffer as future generations pay more for a house. Those that already own and mortgage free would simply pass it on to the next generation. But since home ownership has been on a decline since 1991, it's clear less and less of that will be the case. Also all the major banks in NZ are foreign owned, they too benefit from the rapid rise in housing prices ; as the profits go to their shareholders overseas.