sharetrader
Page 77 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081871271775771077 ... LastLast
    Guru

Arrogance coming back at this government as egg on their face again.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...msedgntp&pfr=1

Trouble is....the Minister's office has thus far been too arrogant to reply to Nicola Willis. I'm sure Minister Woods is looking forward to having to explain and apologise in the House.

What is it with trying to find someone competent to be Housing Minister?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    A Labour-supporting colleague has chastised me for suggesting that Labour have broken their promise, after all he says, it's not called a capital gains tax so it is therefore not a broken promise!
    Your colleague is simply wrong. Robertson specifically ruled out extending the Brightline test before the election: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...s-says-he-lied

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Will it produce the desired result? Will properties remain as rentals even longer? What percentage of flippers would have been captured by the 5 year rule anyway? As I've mentioned in another post, our neighbours regularly buy a new family home, add value (apparently once by just painting the fence), and then hock it off so that they can rinse, lather, repeat.

Now we have a policy which treasury rates as "worse than the status quo".
    I think the changes will make a difference. I may of mentioned before that in recent years we've been seeing a lot of these Robert Kyosaki (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) type of seminars all over NZ, with the sole purpose of unlocking individual home owner's equity and pooling these funds to form investment portfolios in houses for renting out. 5 years is not so bad of a marketing pitch so they can wait before selling (hoping the investors can wait that long). BUT to ask investors to wait 10+ years ? Who in these seminars will have the patience to wait 10+ years? Remember these are unregulated investment clubs that differ to like Kiwi Saver so I do feel extending the Bright Line test to 10 years will make a difference.

On the issue of social housing for the poor, what i've seen done overseas is the gov't builds and owns multistory apartment complexes to house them. Not pay $ to motel operators that we see in NZ. Also to a person that has no income and housing, they too should not be in the position ot make any demands ; such as "I need a back yard for my children to play in... I want to be living in the city... ie. what most people aspire to the term "The Kiwi Dream". In Canada i've seen low income housing complexes built near Walmart (for which is known to build on the outer edges of cities), 2 bedroom apartments much like what we see being built in downtown Christchurch selling for $500K. But i'm not being hopeful social housing will be solved in NZ ; not with the grossly restrictive RMA that prevents developers from building UP.

By the way, there is PLENTY of land around NZ that can be built on and I don't believe infrastructure is the issue. The areas that are mostly in demand and constrained are in URBAN areas. But when you look at how we've built houses (under the RMA), we have wasted a lot of land and most of NZ building is low density. Have a look at Vancouver how they future proofed their residential building. Sub divided lots have back alley access ways. Their houses are built closely together and in times like now where there's huge demand for more dwellings in the city, they build "Lane Houses":

https://is.gd/PXXfX7

Fully accessible from the alley road way with separate mail box and rubbish collection. None of this building a SIDE driveway that extends from the front to the rear of the section that we see always done in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Your colleague is simply wrong. Robertson specifically ruled out extending the Brightline test before the election: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...s-says-he-lied
    He simply changed his mind. Get over it.

westerly

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    He simply changed his mind. Get over it.

westerly
    When a Minister rules out doing something leading into an election, and then does that very thing within months, the electorate has a right to be angry and for that Minister's credibility to be at zero.

IMO

Exactly , sounds like some people live groundhog day over and over and cant /wont adapt to change.That would make any commercial fisherman go broke really quickly for example.

IMO

So transparent the political hosking type bias and hate for our govt, irrational and immature in extreme.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    When a Minister rules out doing something leading into an election, and then does that very thing within months, the electorate has a right to be angry and for that Minister's credibility to be at zero.
    As was John Keys - people got over it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    As was John Keys - people got over it.
    Cindy better hope so. Personally I think other than the smitten, people are finally seeing through Cindy and her "kind" politics. Easy to be kind when you are printing money and dishing it out hand over fist. Not so easy to deal with the consequences of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Cindy better hope so. Personally I think other than the smitten, people are finally seeing through Cindy and her "kind" politics. Easy to be kind when you are printing money and dishing it out hand over fist. Not so easy to deal with the consequences of that.
    The government could well be on the cusp of a "winter of discontent" The main risk, as I see it is in the health service. The Nurses employment collective contract has been under negotiation since last August .It is unlikely to accommodate the demands of Nurses Organisation . The probability of industrial action remains very high
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 30-03-2021 at 05:10 PM.