sharetrader
Page 796 of 1433 FirstFirst ... 2966967467867927937947957967977987998008068468961296 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,960 of 14322
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Agree with almost all of your post BP. But I do not agree with what is happening now, which is the use of so called “cultural reports” that reduce sentences in a big way, for mainly criminals of Maori descent. Handing out sentences and leniency based on race is disgraceful and leaves more criminals in our communities, unafraid of being caught.
    Cultural reports under the Sentencing Act were introduced back in 2002. The National Party when in government chose not to get rid of them. The sentencing judge can weigh up various factors to "uplift" or "mitigate" a sentence. Courts take into account the impact of various sentences on a person's. Likewise a cultural report should be used to ensure the sentence is, within parameters, most appropriate, given whatever deprivation or background is revealed in the report.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Likewise a cultural report should be used to ensure the sentence is, within parameters, most appropriate, given whatever deprivation or background is revealed in the report.
    In other words, another chance to use an excuse that an 'uncultural' person can not, with a view to a light punishment. IE, an unlevel playing field.

At what stage do I have to face up to my personal responsibilty as an adult, no matter how much I was abused as a child?

Do my victims feel any less traumatised, knowing I am cultural?

If I say I was brought up in a gang house, then thats my excuse for beating people?

If you want to break cycles, rather than make them perpetual, then how about treating all with equivalent punishment.
    Last edited by Getty; 19-10-2022 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    In other words, another chance to use an excuse that an 'uncultural' person can not, with a view to a light punishment. IE, an unlevel playing field.

At what stage do I have to face up to my personal responsibilty as an adult, no matter how much I was abused as a child?

Do my victims feel any less traumatised, knowing I am cultural?

If I say I was brought up in a gang house, then thats my excuse for beating people?

If you want to break perpetual cycles, then how about treating all with equivalent punishment.
    There are clearly arguments for and against considering the upbringing (i.e. circumstances, I am not talking race) of the offender when determining the punishment. Some might say as well, that insanity is no defence given that it does not matter for the victim, whether the person beating them up was sane or insane.
    Again - there are arguments for and against.

However, looking at the thread title and Bjauck's previous response - whatever the result of this discussion would be (I suppose there won't be any agreement - this would be a discussion about personal values) - it has nothing to do with Labour and this thread, given that it is not Labours fault that our court system uses cultural reports. National was in government quite happy with the process.

Maybe a discussion for some other thread ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Cultural reports under the Sentencing Act were introduced back in 2002. The National Party when in government chose not to get rid of them. The sentencing judge can weigh up various factors to "uplift" or "mitigate" a sentence. Courts take into account the impact of various sentences on a person's. Likewise a cultural report should be used to ensure the sentence is, within parameters, most appropriate, given whatever deprivation or background is revealed in the report.
    Talk to anyone with first hand experience of the judicial system and they will tell you how the use of "cultural reports" has grown in the last few years and have become an absolute & meaningless joke. If you think this Government's directives have nothing to do with it, then you're entitled to that view. It would however be somewhat gullible to believe so.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Talk to anyone with first hand experience of the judicial system and they will tell you how the use of "cultural reports" has grown in the last few years and have become an absolute & meaningless joke. If you think this Government's directives have nothing to do with it, then you're entitled to that view. It would however be somewhat gullible to believe so.
    Since 2018 funding is via legal aid for those that qualify. The Ministry of Justice stopped funding them in 2018. Maybe that explains the growth in the number? Justice is available for those who pay.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-10-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Ardern making excuses already about why she is going to lose Hamilton.

What a loser the Spin Mistress is - clueless and useless.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/hamilt...A6ZPRC6QYTV5M/

Guru

It will be another job Sharma has left. There's a new one every year.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 19-10-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    In 2010 the Electoral Act 1993 was amended to disqualify all prisoners from voting (regardless of the length of sentence imposed). In 2020 this law was amended so that only persons serving a sentence of imprisonment for a term of three years or more are disenfranchised.
    You know that this is sensible! (Or are you too stupid or blinkered to know why?)
    If your sentence is less than 3 years it is only timing that may prevent you from voting in a general election.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    You know that this is sensible! (Or are you too stupid or blinkered to know why?)
    If your sentence is less than 3 years it is only timing that may prevent you from voting in a general election.
    Yep, its all about being fair to the crims.

Guru

For a govt granted with a 4 seat majority they do focus on a curious set of issues. The opposition does have a point with NZ being the most efficient farmers in the world.

The greens vote has nowhere to go esp with the pro oil-drilling, add more cars & trucks national.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 20-10-2022 at 05:40 PM.