sharetrader
Page 96 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 468692939495969798991001061461965961096 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    There has already been excessive inflation as a result of previous government policy settings - not of the CPI but of asset prices. Consequently many workers have been priced out of home ownership.

I am not sure why there is objection to compulsory unionism after there is already compulsory unionism for some occupations - those that call themselves “professions”. Indeed obligatory membership of a union may well lead to more moderate unions and more straightforward dealing for both employer and employee.
    History says otherwise.

BTW the "professions" have organisations for practising standards.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    History says otherwise.

BTW the "professions" have organisations for practising standards.
    Sure and unions in those fields outside professions help set standards too.

It depends which and whose history you choose.

Quiet Observer

I am not sure why there is objection to compulsory unionism after there is already compulsory unionism for some occupations - those that call themselves “professions”. Indeed obligatory membership of a union may well lead to more moderate unions and more straightforward dealing for both employer and employee. in some occupations there may be a choice as to which union the employee could join.
    Very simply Bjauck, respecting a basic human right.
    FREEDOM.
    Freedom to be, do, & have what you wish as long as you don't impinge on the "rights" of others. Specifically in this case, freedom of association, or as it may be freedom of NOT being associated.
    So in this context, maintaining the freedom of the individual to negotiate (or not as it may be) what & how with their employer when they wish. NOT by what some State imposed artificial "authority" decides & therefore decrees.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!

Legend

I am not sure why there is objection to compulsory unionism after there is already compulsory unionism for some occupations - those that call themselves “professions”. Indeed obligatory membership of a union may well lead to more moderate unions and more straightforward dealing for both employer and employee. in some occupations there may be a choice as to which union the employee could join.
    If you are trying to compare union membership to membership of a professional body, then you don't know anything about at least one of them; possibly both. If you think compulsion may lead to moderate behaviour and attitudes, then you weren't working in NZ in the 60s and 70s. You must be younger than 60, or an arrival from offshore. People working in those yeers will still recall the TV news of 60s/70s NZ and the screaming thugs, gloating about the latest long term shut down of some industry. It still makes me sick thinking about it. Examples like the steel workers holding up Welington's BNZ building for 7 years over some bit of nonsense. There were heaps of similar stories. It was dreadful stuff. Most union leaders were recent immigrants, who seemed to take great pride describing the industry they had just disrupted. Never again - I hope.

Guru

Sure and unions in those fields outside professions help set standards too.

It depends which and whose history you choose.
    No it doesn't. You clearly have little understanding of this country's history under compulsory unionism.

Most school holidays the Cooks and Stewards Union would shut down the Cook Strait Ferries.

The Boilermakers Union and the Riggers would hold up sundry large projects. The Freezing works lost dozens of days every year at peak times for union instigated strikes.....and then when it was quiet, management would instigate a strike to lay them off without pay.

The Watersiders held the country's ports to ransom at any whim. Jim Knox and Bill Anderson were two of the most powerful men in the country.

And Cindy looks to bring it all back....after slapping a wage freeze on the Public Sector. I knew Ardern was an arrogant , patronising, virtue signaling disaster, but I didn't pick her for being this stupid.

All aboard Comrades. But seriously, Comrades....we can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rsxFaq6Ig

2009....not so long ago.

On the bright side (although not for the employees), this policy is likely to improve productivity rates as automation projects are fast tracked.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 08-05-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    No it doesn't. You clearly have little understanding of this country's history under compulsory unionism.

Most school holidays the Cooks and Stewards Union would shut down the Cook Strait Ferries.

The Boilermakers Union and the Riggers would hold up sundry large projects. The Freezing works lost dozens of days every year at peak times for union instigated strikes.....and then when it was quiet, management would instigate a strike to lay them off without pay.

The Watersiders held the country's ports to ransom at any whim. Jim Knox and Bill Anderson were two of the most powerful men in the country.

And Cindy looks to bring it all back....after slapping a wage freeze on the Public Sector. I knew Ardern was an arrogant , patronising, virtue signaling disaster, but I didn't pick her for being this stupid.

All aboard Comrades. But seriously, Comrades....we can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rsxFaq6Ig

2009....not so long ago.
    I have very clear memories of all that - my early working years. It was unbelievably bad. Frightening times on the horizon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    If you are trying to compare union membership to membership of a professional body, then you don't know anything about at least one of them; possibly both. If you think compulsion may lead to moderate behaviour and attitudes, then you weren't working in NZ in the 60s and 70s. You must be younger than 60, or an arrival from offshore. People working in those yeers will still recall the TV news of 60s/70s NZ and the screaming thugs, gloating about the latest long term shut down of some industry. It still makes me sick thinking about it. Examples like the steel workers holding up Welington's BNZ building for 7 years over some bit of nonsense. There were heaps of similar stories. It was dreadful stuff. Most union leaders were recent immigrants, who seemed to take great pride describing the industry they had just disrupted. Never again - I hope.
    I am sure that the NZBC, the state broadcaster, in those days was full of impartial news editors

What were the pay and conditions like that the unions were fighting against? Weren't the union leaders trailblazing heroes in the struggle for worker's rights in the face of poor conditions and the monolith of the Right Wing Farmer's Party (aka The National Party?)

Who elected the recent "immigrants" as leaders? Presumably Kiwi born workers? I understand that there was anti-British sentiment as a result of the UK joining the EEC. My Irish born family members recall being abused frequently for having a "British" accent. Family friends remember dawn raids to find overstayers. Bigotry was more acceptable then?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 08-05-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    What a load of rubbish .NZ was a far happier country in those days . Housing was relatively cheap, there were no homeless on the streets, children were better looked after and then came Prebble, Richardson and there ilk.
    Money became the new god, resulting in the unhappy society that is present day NZ.

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    What a load of rubbish .NZ was a far happier country in those days . Housing was relatively cheap, there were no homeless on the streets, children were better looked after and then came Prebble, Richardson and there ilk.
    Money became the new god, resulting in the unhappy society that is present day NZ.

westerly
    You forgot to write :

About Fortress NZ where everything (especially cars, electronics and clothings) was at least twice as expensive as other countries (especially Australia) and quality was crap.

About the double digit inflation & mortgage rates which priced property out of the reach of the average NZers.

About the ghettos which sprung up all over NZ, but especially Auckland, to house the homeless and needy.

About the overstaffing in almost all government & local government departments & enterprises.

And about the marginalization of Maoris & Pacific Islanders.

And you forgot to mention how shops were closed for the weekends with one late night.

Then there was the lousy food, wine and could not care less hospitality service.

Above all, you forgot to mention NZ was going broke at a very rapid rate.

Then there's the institutionalised sexual, physical & mental abuse of children in state & faith-based care during the 50s to 80s.

Shall we continue with the 'happy place' which was NZ back in those days?
    Last edited by Balance; 08-05-2021 at 12:39 PM.