sharetrader
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Default 2021 NZX Stock Picking Comp

...coming soon! Just setting up the thread!

And here we go again! Make your claim on picking the stocks to watch in 2021.

We are running things a bit differently this year courtesy of the NZ Shareholders Association and the team at Sharesight. Essentially, that should mean a much 'slicker' front end to go and view your results and rankings. Because of the Sharesight link, the form asks you to submit your first name, surname and email address. Please note that this will NOT form a part of any marketing to you (unless you give us express permission to be notified of any future Investment or Trading games)

Get your picks in by DECEMBER 18TH to be counted as part of the "Retail investor Top 5" picks that will be published in the NZ Herald, along with the broker picks.

The rules are similar to 2020, although 'Cash' has been removed as an option.
    Feel free to circulate this widely - we had a good range of entries this year, and would be great to see that grow further.

Rules:
    1) Pick FIVE different NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ).
    - Companies/Funds with a market cap of less than $10m may not be selected.
    2) Please also make a SIXTH pick - this will be used as a 'backup preference' should one of your picks delist or merge during the year. It won't cover companies that are placed in liquidation or dissolved.
    3) Each pick has an equal weighting. You cannot pick the same option more than once.
    4) Picks in by 7pm January 3rd 2020 (New Zealand time); ie, prior to trading opening.

Returns calculations
    1) Each will start with a notional portfolio of $10,000
    2) Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2020 (Dec 31st 2020) to the last closing price of 2021.
    3) Its a 'total return' comp, so Dividends will be included - but NOT benefits from imputation credits or other tax-specific benefits.
    4) Rights issues are included according to a formula that does not increase capital, but recognises a capital gain/loss on the rights for the year. We may have to do this manually, but will cross that bridge when we come to it.
    5) If a selection delists or otherwise somehow dissolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this. The realisation will then be "re-invested" in your backup preference (see 2), allowing the opportunity to continue participation on a level playing field.
    6) Winner is the person who has the largest %age increase.

Entry via this survey form: Picks Form

I won't publish what people are picking before Dec 31st.
    If there is a stock missing from the picklist on the survey form - let me know and I will sort it quickly!

Happy Christmas / New Year everyone...and happy picking.

Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver Mander; 07-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Outside thinking.

Thanks for setting this up again Oliver. Much appreciated.

Just one concern/suggestion. I note that our ST identity (ie Left Field, Sylvester Cat or whatever) is no longer applicable, but instead we will have some generated number allocated to us and will 'compete' anonymously????

If I'm right, this seems a shame as sharing knowledge of who picked what and being able to compare ourselves against brokers (and each others) was part of the fun and learning.

Can't we opt to select our own name rather than have a random anonymous number allocated to our entry?

JMHO...... and hopefully I've misunderstood things.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Thanks for setting this up again Oliver. Much appreciated.

Just one concern/suggestion. I note that our ST identity (ie Left Field, Sylvester Cat or whatever) is no longer applicable, but instead we will have some generated number allocated to us and will 'compete' anonymously????

If I'm right, this seems a shame as sharing knowledge of who picked what and being able to compare ourselves against brokers (and each others) was part of the fun and learning.

Can't we opt to select our own name rather than have a random anonymous number allocated to our entry?

JMHO...... and hopefully I've misunderstood things.
    I agree LF - half the fun is seeing how our ST friends are doing in the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre View Post
    I agree LF - half the fun is seeing how our ST friends are doing in the comp.
    Agree

Like if Rupert posted ‘hi I’m 765374 in the comp and I’m in the top 5’ we probably wouldn’t believe it to be true

But this year we have actually seen Rupert Bear in the top 5 (think leading for a while)

Sorry Rupert Bear ...my hero
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I'm 765374.
    No. I'm 765374.
    And I'm 765374...............

Looking forward to a better result than my poor one this year.
    Thanks for all your work Oliver.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Agree

Like if Rupert posted ‘hi I’m 765374 in the comp and I’m in the top 5’ we probably wouldn’t believe it to be true

But this year we have actually seen Rupert Bear in the top 5 (think leading for a while)

Sorry Rupert Bear ...my hero
    Aww shucks Winner thats very kind, you made The Bear blush

Rupert Bear has done very well :-).
    OK, will add a 'nom de plume' field to the form just in case...but not sure if I can get it to work on the front end of the new site (it is out of my hands...).
    The good news is that the platform will allow us to do multiple thing like this - and hopefully spread the love and learning more effectively than my mere excel spreadsheets can!

If you've already submitted and would like a nom de plume, I'll email you back to check whether you want one added in.

Outside thinking.

Thanks Oliver..... onwards and upwards!