sharetrader
Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DazRaz View Post
    M1 Finance - US only. Great platform. Wish we had it here.
    selfwealth in aus $9.50 for any trade size

1 million $ transaction cost $9.50
    others brokers at least a $1000 or more for the same
    one step ahead of the herd

I understand what you're saying but the reality is, Sharesies is the only way I can invest. I don't have the ability to invest large amounts per order but the standard brokerage fees make small orders impossible. So I am, like many others no doubt, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Dont be sorry , learn from it , so that RTM's pain is not wasted. I myself was considering putting some money in Halifax - but for some reason I didnt.

Financial crises get worse and worse and I have a feeling the next one is gonna be a real doozy. This is based on action and reaction principle. Basic physics applied to markets - for every action there is a reaction and we have been experiencing a massive bull market making us all geniuses - so its likely at some point there will be a massive liquidation phase and at that point everyone starts to worry , even about the major trading banks. I have a large amount of cash in Australia because it is government guaranteed which shows the degree of my concerns and the lengths I will go to so as to reduce risk for the safe part of my portfolio.
    Somehow I think SHaresies may not be immune. Stockbrokers failed in '87. Sure, they probably weren't doing everything perfectly correctly but you just never really know about chinks in a company's armour.

I've been rapping The Message a lot lately to remind myself the truth
    https://open.spotify.com/track/5wD0OP3jK8lz47EvLFYeeA

Its like a jungle sometimes,
    I wonder how I keep from goin under.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post

<snip>

I have a large amount of cash in Australia because it is government guaranteed which shows the degree of my concerns and the lengths I will go to so as to reduce risk for the safe part of my portfolio.

<snip>

Am I right in thinking that only AUD accounts are covered by the government guarantee?

Are you at the same risk as the users of Robinhood?

In the GME debacle, Robinhood actually started selling its users’ positions at its own discretion. Many traders using Robinhood reported having their shares sold without their permission.

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that only AUD accounts are covered by the government guarantee?
    Just to be very clear
    New Zealand trading banks are not government guaranteed by the NZ govt
    Australian bank deposits are guaranteed by the Australian government up to a limit of $250k per person per bank.

I doubt that foreign currency denominated accounts held within Australia are covered but I dont know for sure

But it definitely covers non-residents of Australia
    Last edited by peat; 02-02-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

A few of points here.
    1) NZ banks have OBR (open bank resolution). If OBR kicks in then all unfrozen money is guaranteed by the government.
    2) During 2008 GFC the government came in and guaranteed all deposits until 2011. Precedent set.
    3) Banks have to hold more capital these days than they ever did so are vastly more stable than they were for example during the GFC.
    4) QE provides all the liquidity the banks will ever need. Liquidity is the big issue during market crashes. Massive QE precedent has been set and looks likely to continue forever it seems because debt doesnt mean anything and money isnt real right? Ha..

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    4) QE provides all the liquidity the banks will ever need. Liquidity is the big issue during market crashes. Massive QE precedent has been set and looks likely to continue forever it seems because debt doesnt mean anything and money isnt real right? Ha..
    I think your point 4 is the crucial one. I have far too much invested in NZ term deposits with banks. However despite my dissatisfaction with interest rate returns, any alternative investment has to stack up in its own right. I won't invest in something 'just because bank interest rates are too low'. At least having money on hand gives you the opportunity to pounce when situations arise.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    A few of points here.
    1) NZ banks have OBR (open bank resolution). If OBR kicks in then all unfrozen money is guaranteed by the government. BUT HOW MUCH WILL THAT BE ???
    2) During 2008 GFC the government came in and guaranteed all deposits until 2011. Precedent set.
    3) Banks have to hold more capital these days than they ever did so are vastly more stable than they were for example during the GFC.
    1) NZ banks have OBR (open bank resolution). If OBR kicks in then all unfrozen money is guaranteed by the government. BUT HOW MUCH WILL THAT BE ???
    2) During 2008 GFC the government came in and guaranteed all deposits until 2011. Precedent set. YOU WANNA RELY ON THIS?
    3) Banks have to hold more capital these days than they ever did so are vastly more stable than they were for example during the GFC. EXCEPT THEY DONT HERE DO THEY COZ ORR CAPITULATED
    4) QE provides all the liquidity the banks will ever need. Liquidity is the big issue during market crashes. Massive QE precedent has been set and looks likely to continue forever it seems because debt doesnt mean anything and money isnt real right? Ha.. EXACTLY BUT I WANT MY MONEY TO BE REAL AND SAFE.

Sorry not shouting just differentiating the text
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Bitchy post. Deleted.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 02-02-2021 at 08:36 PM.

DFABPCLMB

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    In the GME debacle, Robinhood actually started selling its users’ positions at its own discretion. Many traders using Robinhood reported having their shares sold without their permission.
    My understanding was RH were closing out call positions, rather than selling shares. A lot of posters are not clear on this but a huge number of retail participants were buying call options and reading the online comments supports this.