sharetrader

Thread: Rivian

Default Rivian

Has anyone been asked to enter into purchasing pre IPO?
    I have been asked by an outfit offering share. I have not partaken in this type of investing before.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by DJNZ View Post
    Has anyone been asked to enter into purchasing pre IPO?
    I have been asked by an outfit offering share. I have not partaken in this type of investing before.
    Yes several big corporate US players have.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/30/th...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

"In July, the company announced it had closed a $2.5 billion private funding round led by Amazon’s Climate Pledge Fund, D1 Capital Partners, Ford Motor and funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates Inc. Third Point, Fidelity Management and Research Company, Dragoneer Investment Group and Coatue also participated in that round."

The same article also said.

"A Rivian IPO announcement has been expected for months now."

The question I would ask myself though is that if Rivian have been so successful in raising all the capital they need in the US just two months ago, and if an official float is 'imminent', why would they approach minnow investors in New Zealand for additional pre-IPO funding? I would advise not taking part in this kind of investing. Sounds like a con job. Any money you send off won't go to Rivian and I doubt you will ever see it again.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 23-09-2021 at 09:02 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Sounds like a Nikola

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Yes several big corporate US players have.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/30/th...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

"In July, the company announced it had closed a $2.5 billion private funding round led by Amazon’s Climate Pledge Fund, D1 Capital Partners, Ford Motor and funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates Inc. Third Point, Fidelity Management and Research Company, Dragoneer Investment Group and Coatue also participated in that round."

The same article also said.

"A Rivian IPO announcement has been expected for months now."

The question I would ask myself though is that if Rivian have been so successful in raising all the capital they need in the US just two months ago, and if an official float is 'imminent', why would they approach minnow investors in New Zealand for additional pre-IPO funding? I would advise not taking part in this kind of investing. Sounds like a con job. Any money you send off won't go to Rivian and I doubt you will ever see it again.

SNOOPY
    See this link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tsm...ew?usp=sharing

Has anyone had experience with Oneshare PLC?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by DJNZ View Post
    See this link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tsm...ew?usp=sharing

Has anyone had experience with Oneshare PLC?
    Right, so it looks like what you are talking about is purchasing shares in the IPO, by way of putting up some money first without certainty on the IPO price? That is a little different to your initial post where you said you were looking to purchase "Pre-IPO".

In New Zealand, the price of a float is generally set by tender from institutions. As a flow on from that, there is sometimes a public float offering shares at that price. I have never bought into a US float so I can't advise you from experience. Americans are notorious for dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's on risks. Even so, this disclaimer does sound a little alarming.

"Not all pre-IPO companies will go public or get acquired, and not all IPOs or acquisitions will result in successful investments. There are inherent risks in pre-IPO investments, including the risk of loss of the entire investment, illiquidity, and fluctuations in value and returns. Past performance is not indicative of future returns."

It sounds like 'Oneshare' can't even guarantee a return on your funds if the float does not go ahead? I can't think of any analagous risk in N.Z. markets.

Your web reference reads like the share float division of Oneshare is set up for wholesale shareholders to sell down pre public float. Oneshare marketing might even form part of setting the float price? You would have to think that Rivian, if it floats on schedule, will carry a fair amount of froth in the share price. But investing without knowing how much froth there will be? There are a lot of unknowns here.

I wonder if an alternative strategy might be buying shares in already listed Ford on a much cheaper multiple. Ford already have first mover advantage in the Electric Pick Up Truck market with the 'F150 Lightning' electric truck production imminent. But Ford also have a $500m early investor stake in Rivian that may provide Ford a significant capital gain when Rivian floats!

SNOOPY

P.S. The Oneshare FAQ page seems not available? If the whole thing is a fraud it is certainly a very sophisticated one.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 24-09-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7