sharetrader

Hybrid View

Default Simplicity Investment Funds

I have my KiwiSaver with Simplicity (Balanced) and am very happy with how it is tracking. I have my little share portfolio sitting along side that as a long term investment. I also have an emergency fund (standard bank call account) which I am adding to regularly. But I have another long term general savings account which is sitting at around $5000, earning zilch in the bank. I am thinking about putting that money into one of Simplicity’s Investment Funds, and continuing to add to it each pay period as I have been doing to date. Tossing up between their NZ Share Fund and their Growth Fund. While I realise these are both high risk for my stage of life, I feel that perhaps I still have time to achieve a little growth over the next 5-10 years.

Anyone investing in one of these funds, or anyone have any advice/comments/feedback?

Outside of KS, emergency savings and share investment, for the last year I have used Simplicity Balanced as my savings account. When it gets too high I skim off some for further share investment. Has worked well so far but I must admit I’m becoming a bit more cautious going into 2021.

Yes I have my kiwisaver with simplicity on the growth fund and also i buy into the NZ share and NZ bond separately. I cancelled my FNZ at investnow and changed to simplicity as the fees are way lower. I know they are not exactly the same, but it was close enough for me. I'm very happy with all my investments at simplicity. I would expect the NZ Growth fund would be a bit more high risk then just NZ Share. But you would get more diversity overseas in the growth fund.

Dilettante

I switcedd to Simplicity from Kiwi Wealth a couple of years ago and happy. Can't say I've looked in detail at their managed funds. justakiwi, based on thee fact that you want exposure to shares, including overseas, have you looked at just buying something like a Smartshares ETF such as the USF which is the top 500 companies on the NYSE/Nasdaq ? You can't get a better diversification than that and the fees are very fair. Minimum regular contribution of $50. I'm not suggesting it is better than what you're thinking about, just that it may be worth investigating for comparison.

Discl: I contribute a small monthly amount to a few ETFs run by Smartsharess and am happy with it
    Last edited by iceman; 14-01-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Guessing you meant USF?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I switcedd to Simplicity from Kiwi Wealth a couple of years ago and happy. Can't say I've looked in detail at their managed funds. justakiwi, based on thee fact that you want exposure to shares, including overseas, have you looked at just buying something like a Smartshares ETF such as the USX which is the top 500 companies on the NYSE/Nasdaq ? You can't get a better diversification than that and the fees are very fair. Minimum regular contribution of $50. I'm not suggesting it is better than what you're thinking about, just that it may be worth investigating for comparison.

Discl: I contribute a small monthly amount to a few ETFs run by Smartsharess and am happy with it
    Last edited by justakiwi; 13-01-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Guessing you meant USF?
    Yes my bad. Fixed

No worries. I already hold USF, although only a very small holding.

As I posted above, I am now seriously considering putting it into FPH and/or adding to my OCA holding. While I obviously wouldn’t want to lose that money, if things went belly up, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. If I do decide to go ahead, I’ll just keep saving into that savings account, and build it back up again.

Any advice/comments gratefully received

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes my bad. Fixed

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    No worries. I already hold USF, although only a very small holding.

As I posted above, I am now seriously considering putting it into FPH and/or adding to my OCA holding. While I obviously wouldn’t want to lose that money, if things went belly up, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. If I do decide to go ahead, I’ll just keep saving into that savings account, and build it back up again.

Any advice/comments gratefully received
    Haha. They are both great companies (I hold both) and lots of good discussion on the relevant threads. I couldn't possibly comment on which is a better investment as I'm too biased in favour of FPH at the moment, despite headwinds with the currency

Today I am feeling very tempted to just put it into OCA or FPH