sharetrader
    Long Member

Default Cheapest way to sell UK shares?

Hi,

Was wondering what platform/method people would recommend to avoid losing the arm and a leg that ASB charge to do this?

Here are there fees below, Additionally, would be the astronomical FX charges on conversion back to NZD which aren't mentioned. All in they could be cutting your lunch by 3%+
    United Kingdom trades
    1%
    minimum of £50.00 per trade plus agency fee of 0.4% with a minimum of £40.00 per trade (Orders up to and including £50,000)1

Open an off-shore account: most commonly discussed on NZ share forums is Interactive Brokers, I do not use them. I use SwissQuote (formerly Internaxx). Can be a pain setting them up but it will be a good resource. I also use SQ for optimising my FX when needed and then transfer the cash to TransferWise (cost for that is EUR10) and to the final destination if not NZD, or direct from SQ to NZ depending on how you want to manage/optimise your FX.

The new low cost online brokers, stake, hatch only deal with US markets. As BeeBop says IB is an option, otherwise all full brokers have costs around 1-1.5% plus custodial fees. Sometimes using a full broker does keeps things simple and safer.

Long Member

Cheers - appreciate the responses. Will take a look at IB and Swissquote. Crazy that in today's day and age that the fees are still that high for the UK. Eas to transact in the US market has certainly tracked in the right direction. UK still a bit of a challenge. A shame too the 50k FDR threshold hasn't been revised upwards!

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

What BeeBop said.

Like the NZX, why bother with the UK LSE if trading & brokerage fees are going to be high? Pretty much all the discount brokers in the US have no commissions on trades and no custodial fees.

Re FIF, I agree the $50K threshold is a joke. What FIF effectively does is discourages wealthy migrants abroad to continue holding their equities if they plan to live in NZ.

Establishing new accounts abroad is not simple. I'm not sure how IB handles the paperwork or simply gives the middle finger to the NZ FMA but in recent years, opening accounts abroad seems to be nearly impossible. Gone are the days you could send a fax copy of your passport / DL#, and wire TT funds are not as simple as before (ie large amounts). At least with my bank BNZ, I can no longer go to any teller to action a wire TT. It all must be done online by secure email which can take days to finalise (while the banks do their AML / police checks where the funds are going to).

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Like the NZX, why bother with the UK LSE if trading & brokerage fees are going to be high? Pretty much all the discount brokers in the US have no commissions on trades and no custodial fees.

Re FIF, I agree the $50K threshold is a joke. What FIF effectively does is discourages wealthy migrants abroad to continue holding their equities if they plan to live in NZ.

Establishing new accounts abroad is not simple. I'm not sure how IB handles the paperwork or simply gives the middle finger to the NZ FMA but in recent years, opening accounts abroad seems to be nearly impossible. Gone are the days you could send a fax copy of your passport / DL#, and wire TT funds are not as simple as before (ie large amounts). At least with my bank BNZ, I can no longer go to any teller to action a wire TT. It all must be done online by secure email which can take days to finalise (while the banks do their AML / police checks where the funds are going to).
    Once the initial account is set up, it is so easy to operate internationally these days....O/N funds transfers and even able to use TransferWise as the intermediary if the value warrants it.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

As BeeBop says.

Whilst it can take a few days for IB to confirm your good to go once you have filled in the completely online application and uploaded any necessary documents, it is straight-forward.

I regularly move money round between assorted countries by various means and for larger amounts this has resulted in follow up phone calls it, but it has been quick & painless.

My banks & brokers seem quite happy with what I do, about once a year they ask me to confirm my details are still valid, tick the box they they have done it and that is it.
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Cheap & easy
    https://wise.com/

Advanced Member

…….. At least with my bank BNZ, I can no longer go to any teller to action a wire TT. It all must be done online by secure email which can take days to finalise (while the banks do their AML / police checks where the funds are going to).
    BNZ have given me access to BNZ Business. No extra charge. I can use this to do my own wire transfers. Bit scary at first, but seems fine. No errors as yet.
    I use IB as well. Seems ok, have been using for several years.