sharetrader
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

You might surmise that dividends would be cut as the company rapidly tries to move away from coal and being the largest CO2 emitter in Australia but Scott Morrison providing a ray of hope for AGL shareholders by promising to do very little about climate change at the Glasgow gab fest.

Permanent Newbie

Tempted to act like a reef fish and flee while I am ahead.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/c...31-p59slk.html

Not sure how they plan to charge their EVs without power.

Thinking it through unless they can convert their cashflows from coal to acceptable green energy then this is a sunset business.

I guess their retail arm could sell other peoples power.

Anyone follow this company at all? Thoughts about the future? A dividend company definitely not growth unless they go hard out towards new generation, in which case dividends will fall and it is not really growth, replacing one source of energy production with another.
    Last edited by Aaron; 01-02-2022 at 12:51 PM.

I doubled at $5:15 so average price not so bad now. will see it through now till the split
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Permanent Newbie

Not very committed takeover offer at $7.50

https://www2.asx.com.au/markets/company/agl

Well shy of Morningstars valuation, although they have dropped a $1 or so down to $13. Not sure what the average price for analysts is on AGL.

Not really very exciting, still really not sure where this company is at. A lot of changes over the next 10 or so years to renewables.

I see ethanol worse than petrol for climate change as an example of misguided change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Not very committed takeover offer at $7.50

https://www2.asx.com.au/markets/company/agl

Well shy of Morningstars valuation, although they have dropped a $1 or so down to $13. Not sure what the average price for analysts is on AGL.

Not really very exciting, still really not sure where this company is at. A lot of changes over the next 10 or so years to renewables.

I see ethanol worse than petrol for climate change as an example of misguided change.
    thanks for pointing that out I had only noticed the price rise, hadnt seen the news announcement

First offer usually gets overbid is the mantra round here. so wait and see I guess,

with price at 7.90 and after doubling at 5.15 I'm only down 5% overall now, cf to nearly 50% at one stage, so feels a lot better.
    Last edited by peat; 22-02-2022 at 07:32 AM.

Permanent Newbie

I would be happy to sell at a 30% premium to the current share price as I do not have a strong conviction about this company. Too much uncertainty in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...is-unrealistic

Also a note that the deal may save shareholders from a slow death, does not fill me with confidence.

Morningstars research predicts earnings will nearly halve for 2022 and dividends will more than halve. I have nearly talked myself out of it already.
    Last edited by Aaron; 23-02-2022 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Too

I now belatedly see that there was another take over offer in early March, this time at 8.25.
    Though obviously not rated as a real opportunity by the market given price struggling to hold 7.50
    But it shows there are bottom sniffers out there so in general is a good indication of support and possible rises in future.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    a good indication of support and possible rises in future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I would be happy to sell at a 30% premium to the current share price
    we are getting there Aaron

I'm actually back in the black now, and with some small divi's along the way....
    AGL3mth.JPG

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    we are getting there Aaron

I'm actually back in the black now, and with some small divi's along the way....
    AGL3mth.JPG
    Pretty happy at the moment share price up 17% since purchasing in August 2021.

One dividend in October which was a 4.1% yield on cost price.

Not so happy about the split up of the company if the critics are right not much to be gained by it.

Expecting big falls in dividend as predicted by Morningstar who have downgraded AGL from buy to accumulate "due to price change" valuation still at $13.30 but no research on the ASB Securities website so not sure what is happening there.

Just looked at company announcements. March 2022 dividend .16 compared to .41 a year earlier. ASB securities don't always get the paperwork to me on a timely basis as I have the option of margin lending they hold the shares on my behalf. I have a standing instruction to join all dividend reinvestment plans so maybe they have done it this time. A 2% yield on cost price so the dividend halves as predicted, hopefully money is invested in more green power production rather than the cost of winding down the coal fired stations.

I really have little idea what is going on. Probably should sell.
    Last edited by Aaron; 09-04-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Permanent Newbie

Article in the herald this morning about the tech billionaire wanting to stop the separation of the businesses so profit from retailing can be ploughed into conversion to green energy.

Peat you were looking to sell once the split had taken place. Are you still holding?

Tempted to take my gain and increase my cash holdings. If this guy is successful I think it would be the best thing for the company and society but unfortunately I am in it for the dividend as I am not yet a billionaire and am looking for income as I near retirement. Once transitioned to green energy it may be a steady dividend paying utility once again.

I am a terrible selfish person not wanting to invest to save the world but to provide a reasonably comfortable retirement for me.

I wonder if other world improvers might start investing or what happens to the share price once our billionaire stops buying?