sharetrader
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Rocket Lab

Legend

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-...unch/103123150

Rocket launched by Elon Musk's SpaceX fails in space after launch from Starbase site in Texas

problems over the fence in Musk's compound

IMO

"RocketLab plans to launch a small Earth-imaging satellite for a Japanese company from Māhia next week. File photo Photo: Supplied / Rocket Lab
    New Zealand company Rocket Lab is doing a dress rehearsal later today for its latest satellite mission.

It aims to launch a small Earth-imaging satellite for a Japanese company next week from Māhia.

It is the company's first since a rocket failed in September shortly after take-off.

Rocket Lab is also working on hypersonic tests flights for the US Department of Defense. These test the likes of sensors rather than launching operational payloads.

However, the aim in early 2025 is to deploy an Australian-made 3m-long "dart" made by 3D printing, that can hit speeds up to Mach 7 or 8300km/h.

With its own test capacity under strain, the Pentagon is turning to private companies in a bid to boost its hypersonic test flights to one a week.

The Defense Innovation Unit signed its latest contract with Rocket Lab last month under the programme.

The "project represents a paradigm shift in viewing the hypersonic realm as a place for aircraft, not just missiles and weapons", the unit said.

The US is at the same time scrambling to deploy a hypersonic weapon amid fears of gains by China and Russia in developing super-fast missiles.

A major military contractor, Leidos, turned to Rocket Lab in June for the inaugural launch from its Virginia site of a hypersonic "test bed" for the US Naval Surface Warfare Center.

Suborbital missions like these are all run out of the US, by the company's wholly-owned subsidiary, Rocket Lab National Security, that it set up a year ago "to serve the defence and intelligence community" with services for "the US government and its allies".

Leidos has four launches like this with Rocket Lab.

"This will enable more robust and successful developments of hypersonic weapon systems," Leidos said.

Leidos also has a half-billion-dollar contract with the US Air Force under a secretive hypersonic programme called Project Mayhem.

The Pentagon has about 70 hypersonic programmes.

"Hypersonic and suborbital test capabilities are key priorities for the nation [US], yet the DoD's ability to test these systems has been limited," Rocket Lab's senior director of global launch service, Brian Rogers, said on its website.

Its missions based on its Electron rocket provided "frequent, and cost-effective" test opportunities from Virginia, he said" RNZ
    How much cash do they have left?

Big announcement yesterday, s/p up around 18% overnight.

US $515 million dollar deal signed with the US Government - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...P72WKK6HBTYBY/ (paywalled)

Permanent Newbie

I guess Rocket Lab is FIF.

The company is NZ based and registered, but is wholly owned by Rocket Lab USA Inc which is the company I guess you are buying shares in.

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/...panies/1835428

Just wondering if anyone else had an opinion as to whether this might be considered a NZ company re the FIF regime?

I wonder what IRDs view is.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I guess Rocket Lab is FIF.

The company is NZ based and registered, but is wholly owned by Rocket Lab USA Inc which is the company I guess you are buying shares in.

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/...panies/1835428

Just wondering if anyone else had an opinion as to whether this might be considered a NZ company re the FIF regime?

I wonder what IRDs view is.
    Since Rocketlab, RKLB is a US company listed on the NASDAQ it falls under the the IRD's FIF tax regime. The fact that they have some operations in New Zealand is of no consequence for the interests of NZ shareholder taxpayers.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 18-03-2024 at 05:11 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Its where it's registered that matters,not where it's listed. So, is it registered in NZ or US?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Nor View Post
    Its where it's registered that matters,not where it's listed. So, is it registered in NZ or US?
    Yahoo states the listed entity investors can buy shares in is: Rocket Lab USA Inc (RKLB). So it is US registered. I expect the NZ operations will operate through an NZ domiciled subsidiary of Rocket lab USA. But investors cannot buy shares in that company.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Yahoo states the listed entity investors can buy shares in is: Rocket Lab USA Inc (RKLB). So it is US registered. I expect the NZ operations will operate through an NZ domiciled subsidiary of Rocket lab USA. But investors cannot buy shares in that company.

SNOOPY
    True. From rocketlabusa.com

"Rocket Lab is an American company with a subsidiary and head office in Auckland, New Zealand."

I wonder if Xero will have to or want to become an American company if it ever lists on the Nasdaq? That would push alot of people over the threshold.