sharetrader
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Default Chloe Swarbrick - I like her style

Just reading her opinion pieces in the herald, they come across well to me. I have a terrible left leaning bias though. I also sometimes read Mike Hoskings opinion pieces they usually make me laugh.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/chloe-...5VEUMTGB4S4ZI/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...EOII6G7PTFBLY/

It is a shame she is with the Greens as the likes of Marama Davidson & Julie Ann Genter just seem to piss me off every time they open their mouths. Labour is too far right for her idealism, ,maybe she can make the greens less loopy over time.

Dilettante

I think you are rigtht that Chloe is very different to the 2 others you mention. I like Chloe´s style but don´t agree with much she says. If she is the future of the Green´s she will take them even further away from the roots planted by Rod & Jeanette all those years ago, 2 people that were real and genuine environmentalists and were guided in their politics by what was best for the environment. Sadly today´s Green Party is not a true environmental party but a far left political party and many of their MPs are misguided social warriors.
    Tens of thousands of voters would want to vote for real thoughtful and realistic environmental policies but are not getting that option from the current lots in Parliament.

Guru

Just in case you thought the Greens were heading for the mainstream.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

Apparently sexism is OK as long as it delivers power to the girls according to Genter. She missed out under their current model, so now reckons it's limiting female representation.

How about the blokes who are under represented in the Greens? Where is the angst? Where is the outrage?

Just goes to show "diversity" is about a power grab....nothing more.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Just in case you thought the Greens were heading for the mainstream.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

Apparently sexism is OK as long as it delivers power to the girls according to Genter. She missed out under their current model, so now reckons it's limiting female representation.

How about the blokes who are under represented in the Greens? Where is the angst? Where is the outrage?

Just goes to show "diversity" is about a power grab....nothing more.
    I heard the interview on HDA tonight I agree what silly nonsense.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    I heard the interview on HDA tonight I agree what silly nonsense.
    Well well, did I just see a pig fly past? Nice to see we can agree on something tim23.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2021/11/farmers-should-be-angry-green-mp-chl-e-swarbrick-treads-into-groundswell-dissension.html

In the wake of Groundwell's 'Mother of all Protests' against "unworkable" rural regulations, Green MP Chlöe Swarbrick agrees that farmers "should be angry" - but not at the Government.

Swarbrick said she sat through "thousands" of public submissions on the Zero Carbon Act and other climate legislation, and asked dozens of farmers and their representatives about their vision for agriculture.

"None had an answer on the spot. Hadn't thought about it; [they] were focused on next week, next month, next year. Some were angry, afraid and upset and spoke of the struggle to survive. Some were in a whole lot of debt, perversely locking them into unsustainable practice," she wrote.

"I asked others whether climate change had impacted their work, seasonal predictability, wastage, etc. Most said yes. They knew things were changing around them.

"I think that's why it's just so gutting not to see mainstream [agriculture] leadership on the challenges ahead, reimagining the future and doing the work to get there. Townies, [especially] townie politicians, can't offer authentic leadership in spaces that aren't theirs.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2021/11/farmers-should-be-angry-green-mp-chl-e-swarbrick-treads-into-groundswell-dissension.html

In the wake of Groundwell's 'Mother of all Protests' against "unworkable" rural regulations, Green MP Chlöe Swarbrick agrees that farmers "should be angry" - but not at the Government.

Swarbrick said she sat through "thousands" of public submissions on the Zero Carbon Act and other climate legislation, and asked dozens of farmers and their representatives about their vision for agriculture.

"None had an answer on the spot. Hadn't thought about it; [they] were focused on next week, next month, next year. Some were angry, afraid and upset and spoke of the struggle to survive. Some were in a whole lot of debt, perversely locking them into unsustainable practice," she wrote.

"I asked others whether climate change had impacted their work, seasonal predictability, wastage, etc. Most said yes. They knew things were changing around them.

"I think that's why it's just so gutting not to see mainstream [agriculture] leadership on the challenges ahead, reimagining the future and doing the work to get there. Townies, [especially] townie politicians, can't offer authentic leadership in spaces that aren't theirs.
    Its alright ( in her eye ) to have a theoritical view of the world for some one who does not actually work for a living, "do as I say not as I do " !!

Redistribution can go up to the rich as well down to the poor.

Chloe Swarbrick on whether we let the growing wealth and housing divide go on, or push for change.

Poverty and inadequate housing is not a natural phenomenon, in the same way that wealth and "housing" per se isn't. As author Ursula K. Le Guin put it, "We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings."

The wealthiest in this country are an estimated $1 trillion richer as a result of the political decisions these past two years, at the expense of workers and renters earning less in real terms and paying more to survive.

We have a choice on whether we arrest inequality or let it fester.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/chloe-swarbrick-we-can-let-growing-wealth-and-housing-divide-go-on-or-push-for-change/UCAX4RSN7F65YGJCGRLDBJZ4BQ/

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Redistribution can go up to the rich as well down to the poor.

Chloe Swarbrick on whether we let the growing wealth and housing divide go on, or push for change.

Poverty and inadequate housing is not a natural phenomenon, in the same way that wealth and "housing" per se isn't. As author Ursula K. Le Guin put it, "We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings."

The wealthiest in this country are an estimated $1 trillion richer as a result of the political decisions these past two years, at the expense of workers and renters earning less in real terms and paying more to survive.

We have a choice on whether we arrest inequality or let it fester.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/chloe-swarbrick-we-can-let-growing-wealth-and-housing-divide-go-on-or-push-for-change/UCAX4RSN7F65YGJCGRLDBJZ4BQ/

It’s being called ‘capitalism’ and yet it is the intervention of central banks and governments in markets that have caused this entire problem. Different arms of the state have deliberately inflated asset bubbles and continue to intervene to prop them up.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    It’s being called ‘capitalism’ and yet it is the intervention of central banks and governments in markets that have caused this entire problem. Different arms of the state have deliberately inflated asset bubbles and continue to intervene to prop them up.
    Agreed, if Chloe can identify the people and policies behind the rising wealth inequality they can address the issue, but I doubt the rest of the greens have enough brains to get past their ideology and work it out. Central planners at the central banks are largely responsible. See how the RBNZ turned around a predicted 10% fall in house prices prior to covid into a much more than 30% rise over the last two years. Drop the OCR to .25% and print up $70bill to assist bank lending. Easy as. Easy to reverse as well but it wont happen. No political will to do it.