sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    what sophistry is this ?
    are you seriously excluding a CFD from the universe of short positions because its an equity swap or some such rubbish???

I dont know how far you want to go to prove your point but I am currently short AIR and whatever you want to call it I will benefit if the price falls. If thats not a short position then blow me down I'm a fairy princess.
    No one is saying NZ investors can't go on the short side. The thread asks why it's not commonly done in NZ or why it's looked down upon and how come NZ brokers are not providing this service to their customers.. etc. It is clear, the FMA advises against it. My argument is short position serve an important service to keep markets efficient and more 'fair'. Such as if the directors on a listed NZX company screw around with shareholders, then it's also fair for the retail side to show their might by calling their bluff by going on the short side. This is not what we have in NZ equities and hence why I said in the other thread that most of these NZ companies go bust when they treat shareholders as tools.

Your reference to CFD is entirely a different story and generally for those high level, sophisticated investors managing large hedge funds (such as the blow up we seen with the Archegos leverage 2 months ago).

Keep in mind, at the end of the day ; it's only my 2 cents.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    ....we've been over this before (Snoopy) in other threads and on most part, most NZX listed companies do not give the FULL 100% dividend imputation credit....

Did you know, and obviously some people do not, that of the NZX listed entities that paid dividends in the last financial year most (as in 64) provided full, or near full as makes no difference to anyone but a pedant, imputation credits.

There were 40 whose imputation paying record failed this high standard.

The remainder achieved the ultimate in 'tax efficiency' and paid no dividends.

Personally I buy and hold shares based on the total after tax return I expect to receive, and any narrow-minded-come-over who wants to tell me I do not know what I am doing can go for a long walk down a short pier.

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post
    ...Anyone doing or done short selling on the NZX on Sharetrader?

Love to hear your story on it
    That was the original question and unfortunately my answer is No but...

...I did buy 7 big bars of Whittaker's Dark Ghana today.

Disc: I have leant out ASX shares for short selling and invested in a few short funds at times
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Your reference to CFD is entirely a different story and generally for those high level, sophisticated investors managing large hedge funds (such as the blow up we seen with the Archegos leverage 2 months ago).

Keep in mind, at the end of the day ; it's only my 2 cents.
    Just as well you qualified that its only your view coz it seems quite different to my view .

CMC market their CFD's to retail and I am retail , Sure I am experienced and knowledgeable but just minor retail in the big scheme so I just dunno how you form these views
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

A couple of months ago I thought it might be a good idea to buy a couple of put options on A2 Milk, not so much looking to short sell, just looking for the right to sell. However, it became clear there wasn't a way to do this on the NZX...

Using CMC and their CFDs didn't seem to give me an option I was looking for to "activate" the sell at a specific price level, rather it seems to be an ongoing system where you enter your CFD at the current market price and let it ride from there.

Can anyone tell me if I have fundamentally missed an option available in the market (no pun intended, but I left it there!). Are there more straight forward ways of buying "traditional" puts and calls on NZX listed stocks?

not that I am aware of 'thebusinessman'
    our market is thin enough at the security level that derivative level just doesnt get a chance

but there are A2M derivatives shown on the ASX

https://www2.asx.com.au/markets/trad...ck-derivatives
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....