Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
what sophistry is this ?
are you seriously excluding a CFD from the universe of short positions because its an equity swap or some such rubbish???

I dont know how far you want to go to prove your point but I am currently short AIR and whatever you want to call it I will benefit if the price falls. If thats not a short position then blow me down I'm a fairy princess.
No one is saying NZ investors can't go on the short side. The thread asks why it's not commonly done in NZ or why it's looked down upon and how come NZ brokers are not providing this service to their customers.. etc. It is clear, the FMA advises against it. My argument is short position serve an important service to keep markets efficient and more 'fair'. Such as if the directors on a listed NZX company screw around with shareholders, then it's also fair for the retail side to show their might by calling their bluff by going on the short side. This is not what we have in NZ equities and hence why I said in the other thread that most of these NZ companies go bust when they treat shareholders as tools.

Your reference to CFD is entirely a different story and generally for those high level, sophisticated investors managing large hedge funds (such as the blow up we seen with the Archegos leverage 2 months ago).

Keep in mind, at the end of the day ; it's only my 2 cents.