sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Foot and mouth disease.

Should this occur in NZ..it aint good obviously.
    I understand that in the UK when they suffered from this...possibly the biggest losers were tourist operators because travel was restricted.
    I also understand that some farmers did quite well..stock losses were compensated by the gummit.

Be a disaster if got here

Fragments found in Australia

Hope our border people are doing the checks of the old days …..been on a farm or out in the country sir …..yes ….can we have all your footwear and any tramping gear for fumigation …..no problem …..and half an hour they come back

Of course I hadn’t tried to bring any food in
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    I understand that in the UK when they suffered from this...possibly the biggest losers were tourist operators because travel was restricted.
    I also understand that some farmers did quite well..stock losses were compensated by the gummit.
    As it should be. Isn't foot in mouth disease caused by the gummit? ;-P

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    As it should be. Isn't foot in mouth disease caused by the gummit? ;-P

SNOOPY

Thought Trev was removing it from our shores across to Europe or is the kitchen too hot for semi retired garden gnomes there ?
    Last edited by nztx; 21-07-2022 at 12:38 AM.

Should have one of those foot disinfectant trays for all arrivals to paddle through. Astonishing that they'd even be looking for it in central Melbourne.

there you go if foot and mouth reaches NZ all ag will be stopped says ardern

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/foot-a...5WYCYOSD67W7A/

guess nzd will plummet as well as the nzx if it were to occur
    one step ahead of the herd

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post

FPH and GNE and many others will still do well ...so not doom story ...but dangerous ...risk was and is always there

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    It’s another highly infectious viral disease but I would have thought the only risk would come from live animal imports or contaminated animal feed .
    I doubt if farmers did well despite compensation.I lived in the UK at the time and my teenage memory was imprinted with the horrors of mass slaughter of dairy cows and heaped funeral pyres burning for days
    Last edited by fish; 25-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post

Covid lockdowns would pale into insignificance compared to an FMD outbreak. In another work life in 2005, I had to take part in a MAF organised simulated FMD outbreak. The implications were horrendous. Hundreds of thousands of cloven hoof animals would be shot and burned ie cows, sheep, pigs, goats … but the main effect is what do you do with at least 6 months worth of agricultural products when our global customers shut their doors instantly to our meat and milk products.. and it would be for 6 months. We consume only 4% of our agri production. Fonterra and the meat companies would not cope, nor would our farmers.

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Covid lockdowns would pale into insignificance compared to an FMD outbreak. In another work life in 2005, I had to take part in a MAF organised simulated FMD outbreak. The implications were horrendous. Hundreds of thousands of cloven hoof animals would be shot and burned ie cows, sheep, pigs, goats … but the main effect is what do you do with at least 6 months worth of agricultural products when our global customers shut their doors instantly to our meat and milk products.. and it would be for 6 months. We consume only 4% of our agri production. Fonterra and the meat companies would not cope, nor would our farmers.
    If its that disastrous then our Govt should pay at most attention not to let it inside ...I sincerely hope that they will do their job very seriously as consequences are too extreme for the whole country

Its been always around in some part of the world so this new scare is justified or just scaremongering ? I am not sure !!!