sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling shares

Default Selling shares

Apologies for the dumb question, I am struggling to google an answer.

I bought shares years ago through a broker (now Jarden) now I want to sell the shares through my bank. How do I add these shares to my ANZ sharetrading platform to sell?

Thanks

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nzspeak View Post

I bought shares years ago through a broker (now Jarden) now I want to sell the shares through my bank. How do I add these shares to my ANZ sharetrading platform to sell?

Thanks
    Though it is a long shot, it may be worth asking the ANZ share trading people?
    Screenshot 2021-05-07 104400.jpg
    om mani peme hum

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Though it is a long shot, it may be worth asking the ANZ share trading people?
    Screenshot 2021-05-07 104400.jpg
    Apologies if this one is a dumb question, but why not just sell them through Jarden Direct?

https://www.jardendirect.co.nz/prici...IaAlm1EALw_wcB
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 07-05-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Possibly because their brokerage fee is higher? No idea what ANZ charges, but Jarden charges almost twice what ASB Securities does.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Apologies if this one is a dumb question, but why not just sell them through Jarden Direct?

https://www.jardendirect.co.nz/prici...IaAlm1EALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by nzspeak View Post

Thanks
    It may be far easier to sell the shares in Jarden (yes pay the high commissions), transfer the funds to your ASB and close the Jarden account.

You may find Jarden may also impose a 'transfer' fee to have the shares go to ASB and could be more of a hassle (paperwork filling out, declarations, and not cheaper to do).

Guru

Direct Broking is the old ANZ run platform and is now run by Jardens. Rates are cheaper than ASB Securities if you have a Cash Management account.

If you are just going to sell them and not planning on more trades in the short term then you can just sell them through any broker and pay the fee they charge. There is no requirement to sell through the broker you bought them through. If the share registry for the shares is Computer Share Registry then they have a facility to sell through them. Not sure about Link.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    It may be far easier to sell the shares in Jarden (yes pay the high commissions), transfer the funds to your ASB and close the Jarden account.

You may find Jarden may also impose a 'transfer' fee to have the shares go to ASB and could be more of a hassle (paperwork filling out, declarations, and not cheaper to do).

How would they transfer them to ASB? They don't have them to transfer. Share registries manage ownership of shares not the brokers.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    How would they transfer them to ASB? They don't have them to transfer. Share registries manage ownership of shares not the brokers.
    I mean have Jarden to do the paperwork transfer (updating the registry). In order to milk as much fees out of a simple transaction, they treat it as you've removed (or sold) the shares out of your account because at the end of the day, it will no longer be in the account, and since the account portfolio value drops, so does their account management fees.

This is something that puzzles me. I have just signed up with Jarden Direct this week, purely to use them for future USX purchases. When they finished processing my account and I logged in online for the first time, my Computershare registered holdings are showing up in my portfolio as "transferred in." I didn't request this so I assume they checked against my CSN and pulled them in automatically. Given that I am only planning on using Jarden for USX trades, I don't really need or want those holdings listed there. If I ever decide to sell I would not choose to do it through them as it's more expensive than doing it via ASB Securities. It is all a bit confusing to be honest.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    This is something that puzzles me. I have just signed up with Jarden Direct this week, purely to use them for future USX purchases. When they finished processing my account and I logged in online for the first time, my Computershare registered holdings are showing up in my portfolio as "transferred in." I didn't request this so I assume they checked against my CSN and pulled them in automatically. Given that I am only planning on using Jarden for USX trades, I don't really need or want those holdings listed there. If I ever decide to sell I would not choose to do it through them as it's more expensive than doing it via ASB Securities. It is all a bit confusing to be honest.
    Your shares are all held by Computershare or Link, so this is irrlevant except they show up in your Jarden portfolio because when you setup your Jarden account, you presumably gave your CSN. All very innocent.