sharetrader
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    CROESUS U.T.

[QUOTE=flyinglizard;897355 I am surprised that Dunphy was a truck driver and Newman was Mainfreight cleaner and truck painter, and both of them had degree later on. They started from the bottom and must know the problems and how to fix it. .[/QUOTE]
    The way I read the article Dunphy was a student who funded his studies by working as a driver. Plested recognised the potential talent in a guy who was cleaning. As an aside, Neil Graham the marketing guru who was one of Mainfreight's founders, started as a driver's assistant.

I welcome the changes to MOVE and will be interested to see how the new guys steer it into becoming a true multi-national freight company, or whether it stays primarily as a trucking company.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by CROESUS U.T. View Post
    The way I read the article Dunphy was a student who funded his studies by working as a driver. Plested recognised the potential talent in a guy who was cleaning. As an aside, Neil Graham the marketing guru who was one of Mainfreight's founders, started as a driver's assistant.

I welcome the changes to MOVE and will be interested to see how the new guys steer it into becoming a true multi-national freight company, or whether it stays primarily as a trucking company.
    They have indicated to cull the loss making runs asap. I never understood why people would tender for a contract at a loss, just to get the work.

They need to cull the local managers with the crap culture that they bring to the table or they are going nowhere.

Legend

Its interesting watching this one MOVE onwards & upwards

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    They need to cull the local managers with the crap culture that they bring to the table or they are going nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Its interesting watching this one MOVE onwards & upwards
    One CEO gone, the message has been sent. My only negative with TLL/MOV is that holders could be getting groomed for a cap raise...... otherwise there is a lot to like about the progress being made in such a short time. Onwards and upwards (but only 2% of my portfolio, so early days for me.) GLH.

Question Future?

From my superficial understanding, Covid-19 contributed to:

• drive e-commerce up.
    • a substantial increase in freighting costs[1].

Both of which would, I assume, contribute to the growth that we're currently seeing across the logistic industry.

That's great but I wonder... what will happen post-Covid?

The e-commerce sector is expected to keep growing, at least in comparison to pre-Covid's level, but will the demand remain at the current levels right after Covid? What about the freighting costs? Wouldn't a decrease in either have a negative impact in the growth of freight companies?

Another question that I have is: the addition of Chris Dunphy and Mark Newman sounds like a great news for the company but I am not too sure how such a company would manage to chip away at DHL and Mainfreight's market—wouldn't their customer base remain loyal to these unless they lose their competitive edge? Would the transition to hydrogen fuel—if it succeeds—help to reduce freighting costs?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious with these questions, I'm absolutely newbie to this industry

[1]: a company that I know of ships internationally the goods that they make as their main line of business. Here are the ocean freight costs that they've taken note of:
    • NZ to Europe (40 feet container):
      • $1,200 USD in May 2020.
      • $10,000 USD in May 2021.
      • $16,000 USD in July 2021.

• China to U.S. (40 feet container):
      • $3,600 USD in May 2020.
      • $18,000 USD in July 2021.

PS: for those of you looking for the old thread, it's still here: https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...es-Investments

Quote Originally Posted by blu3 View Post
    From my superficial understanding, Covid-19 contributed to:

• drive e-commerce up.
    • a substantial increase in freighting costs[1].

Both of which would, I assume, contribute to the growth that we're currently seeing across the logistic industry.

That's great but I wonder... what will happen post-Covid?

The e-commerce sector is expected to keep growing, at least in comparison to pre-Covid's level, but will the demand remain at the current levels right after Covid? What about the freighting costs? Wouldn't a decrease in either have a negative impact in the growth of freight companies?

Another question that I have is: the addition of Chris Dunphy and Mark Newman sounds like a great news for the company but I am not too sure how such a company would manage to chip away at DHL and Mainfreight's market—wouldn't their customer base remain loyal to these unless they lose their competitive edge? Would the transition to hydrogen fuel—if it succeeds—help to reduce freighting costs?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious with these questions, I'm absolutely newbie to this industry

[1]: a company that I know of ships internationally the goods that they make as their main line of business. Here are the ocean freight costs that they've taken note of:
    • NZ to Europe (40 feet container):
      • $1,200 USD in May 2020.
      • $16,000 USD in July 2021.

• China to U.S. (40 feet container):
      • $3,600 USD in May 2020.
      • $18,000 USD in July 2021.

PS: for those of you looking for the old thread, it's still here: https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...es-Investments
    TLL has tiny international market in the annual report, can be ignored. It mainly focus on NZ domestic market.
    MFT achieved amazing result under such high shipping cost environment. TLL shouldn't have problem with international shipping cost.

CROESUS U.T.

blu3 said "I am not too sure how such a company would manage to chip away at DHL and Mainfreight's market—wouldn't their customer base remain loyal to these unless they lose their competitive edge?"

Traditionally they are in different market sectors. MOVE/TLL owned and operated trucks and predominantly moved large loads. Mainfreight were an aggregator of small lots, who from memory owned about one truck, they mainly used agents until they grew their business in an area sufficiently enough to put up a warehouse employ their own stores and sales people and use their own subbies.
    If MOVE/TLL can transition to larger volumes of "smalls" they could prove competitive and reduce the extremely healthy margins that MF currently enjoy.

Advanced Member

Looks like a pump dump or a pump and takeover or pump and spp to me

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglizard View Post
    TLL has tiny international market in the annual report, can be ignored. It mainly focus on NZ domestic market.
    MFT achieved amazing result under such high shipping cost environment. TLL shouldn't have problem with international shipping cost.
    Move have significant warehousing capacity in Hawkes Bay, and have a huge new one with associated yard space, nearing completion.

Shipping delays should work in their favour, as exporters have to stockpile, and importers/ manufacturers have to carry a buffer of inventory to smooth out production, and it has to be stored somewhere, that somewhere being Move's facilities.