sharetrader
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Winston First

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It may be a dead language with little or no relevance in the modern world, but it certainly isn't the end of the story. Dixi (Latin)
    Reports of its death are highly exaggerated; to wit this discussion for one example. Language is always evolving. English itself has not been a static language. The use of Te Red Maori is indeed growing. However I think what may also be likely will be the growth of the NZ dialect of English, incorporating a growing number of Maori words and expressions. Aotearoa may yet become the name for the country in both English and Te Reo Maori, in popular use if not by legal promulgation.

Welsh/Cymraeg usage is growing in the UK, and many of the ways it is taught and used are similar in NZ with Maori/Te Reo

Guru

I'm not sure how you conclude protecting them from discrimination, which is perfectly sensible parenting, was punishment.
    We live in different realities.

I'm not sure how you conclude protecting them from discrimination, which is perfectly sensible parenting, was punishment.
    The English language brought education and civilization to the Maoris. They had zero chance in hell of joining the modern world with their dead language which did not even had a written form.

End of story.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    The English language brought education and civilization to the Maoris. They had zero chance in hell of joining the modern world with their dead language which did not even had a written form.

End of story.
    The Te Reo language is not dead despite the best efforts of some British colonisers. Surely there had been a similar situation with the English language. Scholarly texts and governance was in Latin and French. with English being the language discriminated against. In fact the way English survived was to incorporate Latin and French. The current English lexicon contains so many Latin and French words. Similarly current Te Reo has many transliterated borrowings from English.

There are many multilingual and bilingual countries. I have confidence that a bilingual Aotearoa-NZ would thrive unimpeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The Te Reo language is not dead despite the best efforts of some British colonisers. Surely there had been a similar situation with the English language. Scholarly texts and governance was in Latin and French. with English being the language discriminated against. In fact the way English survived was to incorporate Latin and French. The current English lexicon contains so many Latin and French words. Similarly current Te Reo has many transliterated borrowings from English.

There are many multilingual and bilingual countries. I have confidence that a bilingual Aotearoa-NZ would thrive unimpeded.
    So much fuss made about Maori children not being allowed to speak in Maori in school in the old days. Surely that was an important consideration and function of wanting them to be fluent in English as much and as quickly as possible/

Go to Asia and you will see the same even today - students are in school to better their education in their chosen language because they can speak their individual languages at home. The failure of Maoris to teach their kids at home was and is still the real problem. And please do not try and woke correct me - I have had this told to me by Maoris elders themselves this year.

Guru

Go to Asia and you will see the same even today - students are in school to better their education in their chosen language because they can speak their individual languages at home. The failure of Maoris to teach their kids at home was and is still the real problem. And please do not try and woke correct me - I have had this told to me by Maoris elders themselves this year.
    My emphasis.

I aspire to being “woke” whatever it means. It sounds better than being “asleep”.

Can these people in “Asia” really chose the language in which they are educated?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 24-06-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    My emphasis.

I aspire to being “woke” whatever it means. It sounds better than being “asleep”.

Can these people in “Asia” really chose the language in which they are educated?
    I guess a frog in a coconut shell will always think the shell is the world.

Good on you being woke - confirms why you think & write the way you do. Good one. Bravo.

Legend

Good on you being woke - confirms why you think & write the way you do. Good one. Bravo.
    Read his post - he doesn't claim to be woke, and like me he isn't quite sure what it even means -although, unlike me, he aspires to become woke - presumably so he can then find out what he has turned into.

Guru

...and an ant in a marshmallow pie needs for nothing.

Guru

"N.Z. Future Forest Products Limited"
    https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/11/n...s_limited.html
    NOVEMBER 20, 2019 7:00AM BY DAVID FARRAR
    N.Z. Future Forest Products Limited
    Let’s have a careful look at N.Z. Future Forest Products Limited. It was established on 27 March 2019.

It is a company 100% owned by Kinleith Continuation LP. That is a limited partnership where all we know is the public partner is David Henry, son of NZ First lawyer Brian Henry. It is normal for an LP to be set up to hide detail of foreign investors.

The address of both NZFFP and Kinleith is a flat owned by Brian Henry.

It has four directors. The three initial directors are Brian Henry, David Henry and Michael Rann (based in UK). A 4th director appointed on 27 August 2019 is Jan Trotman, partner of Winston Peters.

Within days of being formed it applied for $15 million from the provincial slush fund for a feasibility study for a new engineered timber operation in Gisborne. Yes $15 million for a study! Luckily Labour Ministers turned it down a few days ago.

They also applied for $95 million from the Billion trees fund to buy farmland to convert to commercial forestry.

Yes a possibly foreign owned company run by NZ First people tried to get over $100 million out of taxpayers so it could buy up NZ owned farmland and convert it to forestry land.

No wonder Winston called a journalist a psycho for daring to ask him questions about it. Because there is clearly nothing at all to see here.

It isn’t just about the unsuccessful attempt to get $110 million from taxpayers. NZ First has been responsible for policy changes exempting forestry companies from overseas investment restrictions on land. So even without the grant applications, we have the potential for people intimately involved with NZ First to benefit from NZ First policy.

And we don’t know who the actual owners are. They have a corporate structure which hides the foreign investors.

Share this: