I have been a client of TD Ameritrade (online brokerage) for over 20 years (from the Datek days in 2001 to acquired by Charles Schwab in 2020).

Yesterday, they advised me that "Following an internal assessment of our international business, we have determined we will no longer open or maintain accounts in certain international jurisdictions. We are contacting you because your account is affiliated with at least one of these jurisdictions. We regret to inform you that we will no longer permit the opening or maintaining of accounts in New Zealand effective November 1, 2021
."

Has New Zealand done something to upset the US IRS or other authorities, to the point that it's not worth the hassle now for US-based online brokers to have NZ clients?

I am a bit shocked to be honest.

Is it part of a general trend? Or is it only Charles Schwab and can anyone recommend a broker to trade shares on NYSE/NASDAQ as cheaply as Schwab? (it became free last year, prior to that it was US$6.95 per transaction, down from US$9.99 per transaction up to 2017).