sharetrader
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Vulcan steel

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I started my working career at Fletchers as a Management Cadet based within Fletcher Steel.
    I worked under Rhys both in Wellington when he was sales manager of the local branch & in Auckland when he became Auckland branch manager. He was ahead of his time within the industry. Very smart bloke.

I found out when I left that he had thought about sacking me when he moved to Auckland, as he thought I was a trouble maker & I probably was as I pushed everyone above me hard. I ended up being the top sales rep in the country. Not sure what to take from that, as his initial instinct was wrong, but he was also prepared to listen to advice & not act on it. He was pretty young then, as we all were.

I met with Fletchers again when I came back from overseas about 10 years ago and after a twenty minute meeting, quickly realised they had no clue. I doubt much has changed in that time.
    Mate of mine worked at FBU said that they survived inspite of themselves not because of themselves !!

Quote Originally Posted by Davexl View Post
    Anyone know what happened to Vulcan last week ? Dropped from $9.30 to $8.50 over 5 days or so...
    Insider sell too.

MarketClose report

Vulcan Steel fell 46c or 5.48% to $7.94 after two brokers downgraded the stock on earnings risk.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

We are in the manufacturing sector and based on the reduced level of enquiries currently and going back 6-9 months, are in total agreement with of Rhys' comment regarding outlook which is also a recurring theme in conversations across the full gamut of customers, suppliers and competitors.

A very tough 12-18 months lies ahead.