sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Member

Default Win $1m & must invest it on NZX

Lets say you win 1 million dollars and for whatever reason you MUST invest it into NZX listed equities (you can do NZX ETS but no offshore ETFs listed on the NZX). What stocks in what proportion do you place your winnings?

Backdrop: we have rising inflation & interest rates, already high valuations, a soon to be unleashed population but international travel could well start next year, less business friendly government in place, a retirement village sector going through a gully, lots of infrastructure investment forecast, kiwi dollar nearing parity with the aussie, covid looks to be endemic, stonking milk prices but what goes up will eventually go back down....etc etc.

Interested in everyones model portfolio. Do you see pockets of growth stocks? Winners from inflation, dividend payers that should remain okay if interest rates rise, move to cyclicals or that train bolted and retail sector passed its prime?

OPTIONAL: same question but you get another million to invest into australia.

Equal weights:
    FPH
    MFT
    EBO
    SKL
    TRA
    RBD

All have long runway of growth ahead of them. All have international exposure except TRA. All proven to grow eps. All have clear business models and are businesses that I understand.

OCA just miss out

I’d leverage up and take $2m OCA shares
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

I like the conviction!

A farmer was asked the same question about a 1 million windfall. He said "I will just keep on farming until it is all gone"

Diversification is the key in my opinion. Currently I have 22 stocks in my portfolio and happy generally with all of them. If it’s starting from scratch with no other shares today I would buy the following in NZ.

Ebos, Fph, Mel, Mft , Rym, Sum, Cen =core stocks spread evenly (70 percent $700k) Get rich slowly but capital generally safer.

Hgh, Oca, Rak, Stu= more risk stocks with Stu and Hgh having double weighting the rest evenly spread (25 % $250k)

Peb and at least one other= outright punts (5 % $50k)

Note I believe you also need diversification with global shares.

Legend

Can I take the $1 mil over onto ASX & come back with 10 or more x as much about a week before close to select NZX candidates ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Can I take the $1 mil over onto ASX & come back with 10 or more x as much about a week before close to select NZX candidates ?
    Read the last line of OP post.

No way would I invest a cent on the New Zealand Market, last share I owned was Px1 about a year ago, lol. Invest the whole lot in the metaverse, NVDA, MSFT, GOOG, FB, AMD and maybe some in an EV stock.

100% in NZX:CO2