sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Market doldrums

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    6 holdings down in the last month, 6 up and 1 sideways. Total return +0.3%.
    A tough market at the moment
    That’s impressive. What are you holding that has gone up in the last month?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Should have said a good chunk of my NZ holdings are on the USX. Decentt FPH & BOT holdings (NZX) as well as a large SFF (USX) holding have kept my portfolio afloat in the last month
    Last edited by iceman; 30-11-2021 at 05:11 AM.

Should have said a good chunk of my NZ holdings are on the USX. Decentt FPH & BOT holdings (NZX) as well as a large SFF (USX) holding have kept my portfolio afloat in the last month
    Well done

You have just reminded me that I sent in an application to Jarden a year ago for access to USX and heard nothing. I must follow up

Guru

Probably a small upside with some of the USX being relatively illiquid! Although small trades can move the share price.

Also helps when one of your holdings has a PE of 3.463!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Were it not for my FPH, CNU & SCT on the other end of the see-saw, my NZ share portfolio would be down more.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 30-11-2021 at 08:26 AM.

More than likely omicron, is more transmissible, but less severe. Governments will encourage the spread and natural immunity, then the markets will react. Aahhhhh!

Legend

Around 26% up overall here in past month - mostly over Oz way, with reduced NZ focus until
    more market confidence returns here

The market has been a tough taskmaster these last 3 months. Actually the whole year has been a bit rough.
    Looking at a graph of the NZX50 on direct broking it appears to have started September at 13.240 and ended this month at 12,719 so even after today's bounce its down almost exactly 4% in the last 3 months and that includes all dividends paid in that period ! Interest rate sensitive stocks have fared worse as the rapid rise in the risk free 10 year Govt stock rate has taken an even greater toll.

I read some article from Mark Lister of Craigs some time back and the gist of it was that to get great returns you need to embrace volatility and think of volatility in a positive way.
    I think that's a lot easier said than done.

Tactics / Coping strategies I have tried to use to deal with the funk in the market include:-
    1. Medicate the stress of this and Covid by eating more food, especially junk food - I definitely don't recommend this
    2. Go for several good walks a week - Highly recommended
    3. Take some chips off the table - you don't always need to be fully invested - Very highly recommended.
    4. Give yourself a darn good talking too that one shouldn't expect perfection with one's stock selection and to always be making positive progress with your portfolio...there are times when you will go backwards for a while - I have had very limited success with that as I am too hard on myself
    5. Live one day at a time and try and enjoy being in the present without obsessing about money - Moderately successful as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-11-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Yes cash is looking good
    S&P/nasdaq has gained so much its simply unbelievable.

Down 3% cf NZX50 down ~4% since 1/9/21. C'est la vie. I sleep well at night.