sharetrader
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Market doldrums

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The market has been a tough taskmaster these last 3 months. Actually the whole year has been a bit rough.
    Looking at a graph of the NZX50 on direct broking it appears to have started September at 13.240 and ended this month at 12,719 so even after today's bounce its down almost exactly 4% in the last 3 months and that includes all dividends paid in that period ! Interest rate sensitive stocks have fared worse as the rapid rise in the risk free 10 year Govt stock rate has taken an even greater toll.

I read some article from Mark Lister of Craigs some time back and the gist of it was that to get great returns you need to embrace volatility and think of volatility in a positive way.
    I think that's a lot easier said than done.

Tactics / Coping strategies I have tried to use to deal with the funk in the market include:-
    1. Medicate the stress of this and Covid by eating more food, especially junk food - I definitely don't recommend this
    2. Go for several good walks a week - Highly recommended
    3. Take some chips off the table - you don't always need to be fully invested - Very highly recommended.
    4. Give yourself a darn good talking too that one shouldn't expect perfection with one's stock selection and to always be making positive progress with your portfolio...there are times when you will go backwards for a while - I have had very limited success with that as I am too hard on myself
    5. Live one day at a time and try and enjoy being in the present without obsessing about money - Moderately successful as far as I am concerned.
    Insight post from someone I can tell has seen a few cycles.

Give yourself a darn good talking too that one shouldn't expect perfection with one's stock selection and to always be making positive progress with your portfolio...there are times when you will go backwards for a while - I have had very limited success with that as I am too hard on myself
    Best advice ever. We don't always get it right.

A close number 2 is
    Medicate the stress of this and Covid by eating more food, especially junk food
    Chocolate, sausages and chips make lockdown bearable

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Best advice ever. We don't always get it right.

Chocolate, sausages and chips make lockdown bearable
    Alcohol is good (though im not a heavy drinker like most NZers). If only there was recreational cannibas as the safe choice.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 01-12-2021 at 05:00 AM.

The market has been a tough taskmaster these last 3 months. Actually the whole year has been a bit rough.
    Looking at a graph of the NZX50 on direct broking it appears to have started September at 13.240 and ended this month at 12,719 so even after today's bounce its down almost exactly 4% in the last 3 months and that includes all dividends paid in that period ! Interest rate sensitive stocks have fared worse as the rapid rise in the risk free 10 year Govt stock rate has taken an even greater toll.

I read some article from Mark Lister of Craigs some time back and the gist of it was that to get great returns you need to embrace volatility and think of volatility in a positive way.

Tactics / Coping strategies I have tried to use to deal with the funk in the market include:-
    1. Medicate the stress of this and Covid by eating more food, especially junk food - I definitely don't recommend this
    3. Take some chips off the table - you don't always need to be fully invested - Very highly recommended.
    4. Give yourself a darn good talking too that one shouldn't expect perfection with one's stock selection and to always be making positive progress with your portfolio...there are times when you will go backwards for a while - I have had very limited success with that as I am too hard on myself
    5. Live one day at a time and try and enjoy being in the present without obsessing about money - Moderately successful as far as I am concerned.
    Thanks Beagle, some useful tips. I also struggle with 4. but do alright with variations on 1.

Dow down 500 points o/n. Hang on folks...

Going to be some opportunities after all?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nor View Post
    Going to be some opportunities after all?

Yes .. maybe .. my thoughts as well .. but I think further falls possible / likely
    as the full extent of Lockdown carnage in the Northern Sector filters through
    with other economic factors impacting that further .. interest rates / inflation
    / budget blow outs / RE deflation etc

Heading into the first quarter of 2022 could be very telling of reality at the cliff face ..
    it may not look very pretty

Now up roughly 34% here in the month (mostly on across the Taz / limited NZ exposure )

Go to sea every day you can. Feed small snapper and bin the odd one that makes 30cm.

Advanced Member

For context, the S&P500 is only ~2.5% off all time highs.

41DABF47-6C71-4F4D-8B6A-B4D5C29AE63B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 850man View Post
    Thanks Beagle, some useful tips. I also struggle with 4. but do alright with variations on 1.
    Beware the side effects of strategy # 1 "Kovid Kilo's"...they're like an unwelcome relative that arrives and are very difficult to get rid of lol
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine