sharetrader
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thanks winner, sounds like you had a good one too . All the best to you. Merry Xmas

Year the year has been a bit average from my speculative approach.
    Not too bad from an investment approach tho
    I think maybe need to not try so hard and let if flow
    I'm back in the corporate sector again. only checking prices at the end of the week. if that. not getting to read the forums either!
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

A mixed year for me. Across the portfolio I was down 3.4% but without ATM I was up 4%. Despite the loss during the year on ATM it is a share that had realised an annual return for me of 194% p.a. over the past 6 or so years before I exited this year - so not all bad news and a demonstration of how hard it can be to exit a profitable share.

Exits this year - ATM, PX1. New entries this year - FPH, MFT, ARB, THL (held previously).

Best returns this year - HGH, EBO and THL.

Return on small Aussie portfolio -1.4% over approx 9% of total portfolio
    Return of offshore ETF's +16% on approx 11% of portfolio

Thanks everyone for your contributions this year. I am not a big poster but I do listen to the range of opinions on offer here and appreciate that it is a range.
    Last edited by Rossimarnz; 20-12-2021 at 09:16 AM.

2021 NZX50 TOP 5* as at 17 Dec (2020 performance)

Sky Television +70 percent (-57 percent / Bottom 5)Skellerup +64 percent (+50 percent)Heartland +40 percent (-10 percent)EBOS +30 percent (+18 percent)Mainfreight +30 percent (+62 percent)
    *Based on price change between Jan 4 and Dec 17

2021 NZX50 BOTTOM 5* as at 17 Dec (2020 performance)

A2 Milk -53 percent (+43 percent)Meridian Energy -44 percent (+50 percent)Synlait Milk -36 percent (-43 percent)Pushpay Holdings -32 percent (+78 percent / Top 5)Ryman Healthcare -19 percent (-10 percent)

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    2021 NZX50 TOP 5* as at 17 Dec (2020 performance)

Sky Television +70 percent (-57 percent / Bottom 5)Skellerup +64 percent (+50 percent)Heartland +40 percent (-10 percent)EBOS +30 percent (+18 percent)Mainfreight +30 percent (+62 percent)
    *Based on price change between Jan 4 and Dec 17

2021 NZX50 BOTTOM 5* as at 17 Dec (2020 performance)

A2 Milk -53 percent (+43 percent)Meridian Energy -44 percent (+50 percent)Synlait Milk -36 percent (-43 percent)Pushpay Holdings -32 percent (+78 percent / Top 5)Ryman Healthcare -19 percent (-10 percent)
    While technically true, the stats for MEL don’t paint an accurate picture for this stock as the -44% is measured from around the huge price peak occurring in early Jan 2021. For much of last year this was a $5 stock, and it’s now only marginally below that level.

good yr for me 38% return from NZ portfolio ( div's not included ) vrs negative NZ50 index return so very pleased to have outperformed .
    this does not include my oversea's investments which was my biggest weighting this yr of the portfolio

these are some stocks i have commented on i liked on this site and they have done really well
    i have held or traded these this yr and still retain a few

SKL up 69% YTD
    NZM up 105% ytd
    brw up 62% ytd
    whs up 49% ytd
    agl up 31% ytd
    bgp up 29% ytd
    ift up 10% ytd

there are a few i have traded only
    such as oca hlg mel zel skt tra vgl cvt scl fph spk sek etc etc to name a few 74 trades this yr in NZ only many more offshore lol

anyway good luck to everyone and enjoy your xmas break
    Last edited by bull....; 22-12-2021 at 09:27 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    It's always darkest before the dawn. 2022 is going to be a smashing year. By the end of next year no one will be talking about covid, tourism will be ramping up, NZX50 will be up 20%, we will all be much richer and the Labour government will be hitting their stride mid-term pushing through social reform.
    A couple of weeks ago I had snuck inside the Top 50 in Oliver's competition. But due to the year end slump of SCT and SKC, I am now struggling to hang on inside the top 100. Oh well, I knew the year would be hard on my 'dividend' strategy with Spark, representative of my telecommunications holdings, down 3.1% for the year and Mercury, representative of my power company holdings down 6.9%. Despite this, my finance investments, represented by TRA, up a stunning 40%, and SCT, representative of my export centered investments +37% (despite the recent decline) pulled my competition return (pretty close to my real return) up to 11.6% for the year (so far, ever hopeful!, c.f. 19.9% for 2020, 20.5% for 2019 and 11.1% over 2018). Any way you look at it, that is still a large outperformance over the NZX50 for the year 2021 (which looks to be finishing down 3% for the year). So I can't really complain, as part of my return included a steady supply of dividends along the way. I am a dividend hound at heart and didn't buy or sell shares in any of my 'representative 5' during the year.

I don't have any great insights as to where the market will go in 2022. But with rising interest rates I expect 'more of the same'. I might take the opportunity to top up on my telecommunications and power sector sub portfolios should share prices there fall further. Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 28-12-2021 at 11:58 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Hey snoops. …. Oliver picked SCT in the Brokers Tips thingie (on behalf of NZSA)

You going to be in for a fabulous 2022
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Learned some good lessons during 2021, including when to stop flogging dead horses (ATM, SAN). Goal for 2022 is to recognise the nags before getting in the saddle.

Had some winners too (SKT, SCL and Aussie financials etf ASF), while OCA, ARV and HLG made up the balance of the portfolio at year-end. 9% up for the year.

Thanks to everyone on Sharetrader for sharing your wit and wisdom through the year.