sharetrader
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Stocks

agree it will be a tougher year for retail stocks
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Rather muted reaction so far today, with most retail off only 1%-1.5%

Guru

it will probably be a wee bit of an up and down market for the rest of the year. Traders market this year.

next support level for WHS looks to be about 3.20.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 24-01-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by emearg View Post
    What I'm reading is there may be good buying opportunities for folks with medium to long term outlooks.

I remember in 2008 pondering if I should buy more Briscoes. They were around 87 cents if memory serves me right. I didn't. Pity that given the dividends over all those years, and the capital gain over the last few years. I bought some more in 2020. No regrets there. Maybe 2022 is the time to buy a few more given retail may well fall out of favour? I can't think of an operator who has their interests more aligned with mine than Rod Duke. Nor can I think of a more consistent performer over the decades than him. Maybe I'm just a Rod Duke fan boy?
    How old is Rod Duke ? How long will he continue ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    How old is Rod Duke ? How long will he continue ?
    About 70 or 71, based on this article.

To retire or not to retire: Rod Duke on succession planning (newsroom.co.nz)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Rather muted reaction so far today, with most retail off only 1%-1.5%
    Spoke too soon - retail getting hammered now,

Even Turners (sort of a retail name I suppose) had the self off.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 24-01-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Advanced Member

KPG reporting a 9.6 year on year increase in retail spending for December across its Auckland and Hamilton malls:

Kiwi Property today reported the December 2021 sales for its mixed-use shopping centres, announcing a 9.6% increase on the prior comparable period [Note 1].

‘Mini-majors’ [Note 2] delivered a particularly strong increase in total sales, recording a 35.1% year-on-year uplift, led by recently opened retailers such JD Sports and Culture Kings. Sales across the ‘majors’ category were also up 6.1% in December, underpinned by supermarkets and the ongoing recovery of cinemas.

Sylvia Park was Kiwi Property’s top performing asset in December, achieving sales growth of 11.7%, with the centre’s level one expansion and new athleisure precinct helping drive a 47.7% increase in ‘mini-major’ sales. Kiwi Property’s other key mixed-use shopping centres, LynnMall and Te Awa The Base, also recorded robust sales growth of 7.3% and 4.5% respectively in the final month of 2021.

Linda Trainer, Kiwi Property GM Asset Management said: “Lockdowns had a significant impact on New Zealand’s retail sector in 2021, so it’s pleasing that many of our tenants ended the year on a high-note. The overall growth in sales across our mixed-use shopping centres during December is an encouraging sign heading into 2022, despite the presence of COVID-19.”

ENDS

Notes
    1. Sales information is based on data obtained from third parties or estimated by Kiwi Property where this data is unavailable. Sales information has not been independently verified. Mixed-use shopping centres comprise Sylvia Park, LynnMall, Te Awa (The Base) excluding large format retail. Northlands, The Plaza and Centre Place are excluded for consistency with Kiwi Property’s FY21 annual and FY22 interim reporting treatment.
    2. Mini majors include stores over 400 square metres in size, excluding anchor tenants, such as supermarkets, department stores and cinemas, which fall under the majors category.

Advanced Member

Weekly update:
    36672DA5-8DFD-4C39-9CE6-28AC08157EC6.jpg

should I add Turners & NZ auto to this?
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 30-01-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Weekly update:
    36672DA5-8DFD-4C39-9CE6-28AC08157EC6.jpg

should I add Turners & NZ auto to this?
    If you want too but its worth noting that Turners makes the majority of its money from its finance division...more than from selling cars !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    If you want too but its worth noting that Turners makes the majority of its money from its finance division...more than from selling cars !
    You must ask yourself,which comes first the chicken or the egg.?