sharetrader
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Stocks

$20k p.a. running costs. Beagle would get absolute min 10% return p.a. on the $375k purchase price.

The $57k p.a. is several business class, 5 star 1 week stays in Fiji every year with Mrs Beagle. Pretty good alternative

Boat no good! But I am not a boat person

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    BOAT is famously known as an acronym for Bring on another thousand. The less well known acronym's you only learn through experience are Bring on another ten thousand and Bring on another trauma.

In between the best days of buying and selling and all the drama's and cost there lies interspersed quite a significant number of really satisfying days spent with family and friends or simply relaxing with your partner. or even fishing on your own or with one or two good mates. In those quieter moments, anchored in some calm beautiful remote bay somewhere far away, sipping one's drinks in the golden sunset hour the realization hits you that investment is a process of building security but at its core is simply "deferred consumption" and consumption of resources cannot be deferred indefinitely and resources cannot be taken with you when you go, (despite many attempts by the Egyptians to do exactly that).

Anyway...back to the subject Retail. I am looking forward to HLG's trading update with a little trepidation if I am honest. Currently running a half sized position so I can only be half right or half wrong lol
    Ha ha nice acronyms! I completely agree that a boat no doubt can lead to great happiness, and is an entirely appropriate purchase for many, especially if one can afford it and the upkeep. In fact I am a little surprised that living on boats (either normal ones or specifically designed houseboats) hasn’t become more common in our stupid housing market - surely its far cheaper than buying a house or apartment in Auckland or Wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Ha ha nice acronyms! I completely agree that a boat no doubt can lead to great happiness, and is an entirely appropriate purchase for many, especially if one can afford it and the upkeep. In fact I am a little surprised that living on boats (either normal ones or specifically designed houseboats) hasn’t become more common in our stupid housing market - surely its far cheaper than buying a house or apartment in Auckland or Wellington.
    Interesting you mention that. I was looking at marina opportunities yesterday and noted that Hobsonville marina allows liveaboards for just $7 per person per day. (Utilities are charged separately but its pretty cheap to heat a boat compared to a house), so a couple saving for a house could live for just $98 per week. Staying aboard one's boat in a marina can be a nice social time too, there's often community BBQ's in summer. According to those I have talked to who have done it, winter is not nearly as much fun. Boats are also a good place to escape too when you've had a big argument with your partner...ask me how I know lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-02-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Interesting you mention that. I was looking at marina opportunities yesterday and noted that Hobsonville marina allows liveaboards for just $7 per person per day. (Utilities are charged separately but its pretty cheap to heat a boat compared to a house), so a couple saving for a house could live for just $98 per week. Staying aboard one's boat in a marina can be a nice social time too, there's often community BBQ's in summer. According to those I have talked to who have done it, winter is not nearly as much fun. Boats are also a good place to escape too when you've had a big argument with your partner...ask me how I know lol
    Interesting.

I see it might have in fact started to happen - here is a couple who built a houseboat in Auckland:

8D7CB6BC-4134-41E2-BEA9-D765677F18D9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRom2j0WBs

Guru

CNBC this morning some pro investor houses predicting inflation to ease into year end.

Rebound to retail in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzing View Post
    CNBC this morning some pro investor houses predicting inflation to ease into year end.

Rebound to retail in 2023.
    waltzing - surely you don't watch the cheerleaders on CNBC ...even worse taking in what they say

bad for your health
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

$1.20 p/hr increase to Minimum Wage on 1 April 2022 announced today I believe

What gets added on the bottom tier comes with expectation of adding further increments
    further up the hierachy - does it not ?

Will this help, or simply get swallowed into the deepening gap between price rises
    interest rises, higher fuel costs and outgoings and income ?

Or simply break the back of further struggling businesses and result in further job attrition ?

Once again on the back of this another Minister not taking in MBIE advice of such increases

Is a 6% increase in Minimum Wages also not an Inflationary initiative to add on to the earlier ?

What extra Goods & Services have in real terms been added to the goldfish bowl out of this sort
    of inflationary wage increase ?
    Last edited by nztx; 11-02-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Nztx -- min wage good for retail stocks

Wood said the increase would have a stimulatory effect on the economy because workers would spend the money on buying things, which would help support businesses.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Nztx -- min wage good for retail stocks

Wood said the increase would have a stimulatory effect on the economy because workers would spend the money on buying things, which would help support businesses.

Until outfits can no longer afford to pay for Govt's incompetence affecting their customer & trading
    patterns - then what ?

Add soon an extra 1.4% levy on for 6 months 'I must recover from the previous job' - did I use
    all of the 10 days sick pay ? and all sorts of other weird & wonderful x days allowances
    added in the past 2 & whatever Govt terms

Quite a list of these 'excuses for officially & legally being absent, aren't there ?

I feel sorry for employers & retailers being inflicted with the yards and yards of Bullcrap
    as they have over the past 6-8 years, endured Covid, Lockdowns, etc etc and it's
    not all over yet, in fact far from it

What is the 'Business Mortality' rate under this Govt's terms ?
    How many have succumbed ? closed down, or are now no longer ?

Just for the record - increased spending at the other end of the scale - would this not
    push more fiat bucks around instead, rather than 50c here and there ?

For every Dollar increase in the bottom tier - those earners are effectively worse off in real terms
    once the Taxman's brickbat slugs them at highest marginal rate for what presumably is
    intended as fiscal catch up ?

Everything comes with a Co$t too - what extra sales or saving elsewhere is needed
    to shell out the extra $1.20 p/hr - if it doesn't generate extra productivity ?

Or a further free lunch bestowed by Labour for Nada, Zilch in return ?

A bit like the Covid-19 Wage Subsidies - what real gains were produced out of the $96 Bills
    artificially produced / borrowed- that we can see present today (aside from mammoth price, house,
    fuel, interest, Cost of Living increases starting to morph themselves across the land
    Last edited by nztx; 11-02-2022 at 05:55 PM.