sharetrader

Default NZ trading firms

Hi there,

I'm a graduate student studying towards a BSc(Honours) in maths. I recently got quite interested in trading. However, I only found "trvtradinggroup" upon searching for trading firms in NZ. What other trading firms are there in New Zealand that I can apply for? I know there are quite a few in Australia like -Optiver, but I want to stay in NZ.

If someone could help me out that would be really appreciated. Also, what skills do trading firms usually look for in candidates? My current knowledge is that trading firms only expect graduates to have strong logical, analytical, and lateral thinking skills with some coding skills as well; and they teach everything about the markets. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Hi there,

I'm a graduate student studying towards a BSc(Honours) in maths. I recently got quite interested in trading. However, I only found "trvtradinggroup" upon searching for trading firms in NZ. What other trading firms are there in New Zealand that I can apply for? I know there are quite a few in Australia like -Optiver, but I want to stay in NZ.

If someone could help me out that would be really appreciated. Also, what skills do trading firms usually look for in candidates? My current knowledge is that trading firms only expect graduates to have strong logical, analytical, and lateral thinking skills with some coding skills as well; and they teach everything about the markets. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
    You could apply to the banks they all have trading rooms , FX,Interest rates etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
    I thought there would be more replied. Anyways here's my take. I don't think NZ is the place to find such skills or markets to suit any quantitative analysis. That is your major in mathematics (what we call in Finance 'quants') is pretty much useless in the NZ market sense. For those types of skills, you need to go to Wall Street and even still, they are limited in #s.

Firms that trade often aren't trading for the sake of need to buy and sell. They trade because their clients demand it. Even hedge funds get it wrong when they trade and it's proven the more often they trade, the more likely they lose money. They do rebalancing of portfolios by trading, but the intention isn't to profit in the short term.

I can't think of 1 Finance guru that has done well in the stock market, purely on the basis of some quantitative skill. But there are countless of gurus that have done exceptionally well by simply looking at human behaviour. Fundamentals and quant analysis i'm afraid can not predict those kinds of outcomes.