Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
As Snoopy showed, this threshold is based on your cumulative initial cost. What ever gains it grows to in 1 or 10 or 20 years is tax free. Yep a clear winner for the small investor ; however, not something you can rely on in terms of retirement nest egg at the end. Unless you hit something really insane such as buying Bitcoin at the right time, $50K can't compound enough if you look at 5% or 10% per year returns over 20 or 30 years. This was the question brought up when I was at a Jarden seminar where they were seeking new clients. A person asked them about the Sharesies platform of low cost commissions and investing. Their reply was that was not their game, what they were seeking is people with $500K+ range to invest so they can ensure them multimillionaire status at retirement. At the time of that seminar, I think my Berkshire (Class A) stock was around $300K (the seminar was IRC was 2019 just before Covid). Now BRKA has closed at $525K. I often wonder if the same $300K handled by Jarden would net me a better return in less than 3 years.
Thanks for your insights.

Yep, I think I will split the 49k into a very few high growth companies which I think will do really well over time. Then with the rest of my money, I can put into funds like Kernel Wealth which only charge 0.29% (which is good compared to other NZ fund providers).

I appreciate all your advice.