sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Scam

These darn Asian woman… Just too hard to know if they are scam artists or genuine immigrants selling us cheap broadband.

Snoopy ask them what’s better, marmite or vegemite. If they have no idea what you are on about hang up immediately! If they say marmite it’s a pass.. if it’s vegemite, it’s inconclusive and you’ll have to ask a second round question (because what’s the chances of an Asian Aussie woman immigrating to NZ and ringing ya house selling you something, am I right?).

Need some more ideas for second round?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I have been rung up a couple of times in the last fortnight by Asian women claiming to be working for Vodaphone ringing me on my landline (not with Vodaphone). The first time I ended up being offered a wireless broadband package for just $19 per month. This was after I got transferred from the first Asian woman to a second Asian woman (a suspicious move in itself I thought) once I showed some interest in taking the discussion further. The catch was "if I have a pay monthly mobile deal with Vodaphone as well". I actually do have a Vodaphone mobile, but I run it on an irregular pre-pay basis. If it was really Vodaphone ringing me I would have thought they might have known this? Then again I may have just gone into a shop and bought a SIM card one day and remained 'anonymous' (I think you can still do this, I can't quite remember). Or maybe they did know and were trying to sway me into a regular monthly deal? But if that were true and they knew my number was a Vodaphone mobile number (even if they didn't know my name), why didn't they ring me via my mobile phone if they wanted to 'up sell' me a deal? I have got 'up sell' genuine text message deals from Vodaphone before, via my mobile.

After turning down the first deal, I got rung again tonight, offering me full fibre broadband for just $55 per month, Again providing I had a monthly cellphone contract (which I did not want). This time they knew my name (I gave it to them the first time around) and that "I had expressed interest in signing up with Vodaphone", (after I had explicitly said two weeks ago that I wasn't interested). It all sounded a bit staged, and a bit too good to be true. But not so good that it was definitely a hoax

I know that Infratil own Vodaphone NZ. But do they have an Asian based call centre? I did wonder if this was a genuine campaign to try and boost revenue before a partial or total sell off of Vodaphone NZ, which I understand is being rebranded to 'One New Zealand' in the new year.

Anyone else had one of these calls from 'Vodaphone'?

SNOOPY
    Not sure but as long as you don't divulge any credit card or bank details over the phone you're generally OK. To put things into perspective I have Unlimited 300mbps Fibre for $37.95 per month (bundled with power) through Slingshot ... $55 per month is good, but it's not the best deal on the market for those willing to shop around.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    New Very Clever Scam

A scam clever enough to catch some seniors off guard!
    Why especially seniors? Are they all thick?

Might find some useful information about scams here: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/frau...ms-and-safety/

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Might find some useful information about scams here: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/frau...ms-and-safety/
    possibly not intentionally funny but it made me laugh.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Membaa

If it sounds suss, it is suss. Just hang up. Or, don't even answer. I never answer a call anymore that isn't from a known contact. "Caller Id Unknown", don't answer.

I'm finding it intriguing that you are looking to get a Wireless or Fibre Broadband connection, but you're still using a landline?!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    I'm finding it intriguing that you are looking to get a Wireless or Fibre Broadband connection, but you're still using a landline?!
    I have what is termed a 'fixed wireless' connection that works through the Spark Mobile Network. It comes with a small data allowance which is adequate for the broadband connection I need for my purposes. It also comes with unlimited toll calls around NZ, for calls up to two hours in duration. So technically I don't have a landline any more (no copper). But functionally what I have is a landline.

I wasn't looking to change what I had. 'Vodaphone' cold called me.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

I wasn't looking to change what I had. 'Vodaphone' cold called me.

SNOOPY
    It never was vodaphone. It was vodafone. And early next year it is changing to "ONE." A stupid name, but perhaps better than trying to be cool using a mispelling like "fone" which many people incorrectly corrected back to "phone."

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kiwical View Post
    It never was vodaphone. It was vodafone. And early next year it is changing to "ONE." A stupid name, but perhaps better than trying to be cool using a mispelling like "fone" which many people incorrectly corrected back to "phone."
    Correction: Many people changed to phone. The correct spelling of fone is fone.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 07-12-2022 at 01:05 PM.