sharetrader
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Scam

Advanced Member

Beware of phoney calls!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I have what is termed a 'fixed wireless' connection that works through the Spark Mobile Network. It comes with a small data allowance which is adequate for the broadband connection I need for my purposes. It also comes with unlimited toll calls around NZ, for calls up to two hours in duration. So technically I don't have a landline any more (no copper). But functionally what I have is a landline.

I wasn't looking to change what I had. 'Vodaphone' cold called me.

SNOOPY
    Voice-over-Copper landline connections have been discontinued in my area. If you want your landline to continue it is by way of voip delivered by broadband via copper. So if there is a power cut both the Voip and data internet are cut - a step backward in my opinion, especially if mobile connections are sketchy or weather affected too..
    Last edited by Bjauck; 07-12-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Voice-over-Copper landline connections have been discontinued in my area. If you want your landline to continue it is by way of voip delivered by broadband via copper. So if there is a power cut both the Voip and data internet are cut - a step backward in my opinion, especially if mobile connections are sketchy or weather affected too..
    A set of semaphore flags would make a good backup

https://www.ninefit.nz/products/sema...ellow-set-of-2

Daytime use only though and more expensive than the cheapest Samsung smart phone.

semaphore flags more expensive than a smart phone ????

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    A set of semaphore flags would make a good backup

https://www.ninefit.nz/products/sema...ellow-set-of-2

Daytime use only though and more expensive than the cheapest Samsung smart phone.

semaphore flags more expensive than a smart phone ????
    In SE Auckland where they are rushing to accommodate the extra Auckland population growth from the previous decade, we get a lot of power cuts - bad weather or beautiful fine days make no difference. So yes a voice-over-copper landline was more reliable and still worked - Surely a benchmark for the usefulness of technology.

Although I like the idea of a relay of semaphore flags or Morse code lights, on stormy days!
    Last edited by Bjauck; 08-12-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    In SE Auckland where they are rushing to accommodate the extra Auckland population growth from the previous decade, we get a lot of power cuts - bad weather or beautiful fine days make no difference. So yes a voice-over-copper landline was more reliable and still worked - Surely a benchmark for the usefulness of technology.

Although I like the idea of a relay of semaphore flags or Morse code lights, on stormy days!
    What is fascinating is that as technology advances, the quality of the service seems to decline. I remember back in my teens and early twenties, all we had was copper connections. Not even VOIP, just standard copper. And the call quality was perfect. Far better than what you get these days with cellular.

On the flip side, with copper internet connections i.e. ADSL/VDSL, it would drop out all the time and you'd be restarting your router every few days. Now with fibre you rarely have to do anything

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    What is fascinating is that as technology advances, the quality of the service seems to decline. I remember back in my teens and early twenties, all we had was copper connections. Not even VOIP, just standard copper. And the call quality was perfect. Far better than what you get these days with cellular.
    You mean back in the days when you were hard wired to the wall, rather than strolling around all over the show with the phone in your pocket? How surprising that's not.

Herbacious

I used to work on internet helpdesks, Xtra, ClearNet etc. Used to constantly get calls from people wondering why their dial up couldn't connect. And I'd say to them, just listen to the line quietly for a minute, you hear that "tick, tick, tick"? That's your electric fence (or your neighbours). Go turn it off and see if it's better.

BTW on the subject of scams, beware of the email one that's doing the rounds for renewing your car registration. Some versions that I've seen are very convincing. As always, never click the link, if you do your rego online, just google NZTA yourself and get to the proper .govt.nz website.
    Last edited by mondograss; 08-12-2022 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added a scam doing the rounds

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You mean back in the days when you were hard wired to the wall, rather than strolling around all over the show with the phone in your pocket? How surprising that's not.
    Back when you had the handset hardwired to the wall, and you could walk around the house with the detachable part yes. But I am thinking more for office applications. The call quality these days is terrible. The copper system was so much superior. Especially when in low cell coverage areas, fading in and out etc. We went back to a landline for this very reason a few years ago as it was impossible to conduct business with the cell.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    On the flip side, with copper internet connections i.e. ADSL/VDSL, it would drop out all the time and you'd be restarting your router every few days. Now with fibre you rarely have to do anything
    That’s a drawback. Although with the number of our power cuts I haven’t had to deliberately restart the router for some time. Even micro power cuts (less than a minute long) seem to do the trick.

My granny remembers that back in the day, they could listen in on their neighbours phone calls, and join in if they wanted, just by lifting their handset - sort of an early version of Zoom I guess.