sharetrader
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Scam

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    That’s a drawback. Although with the number of our power cuts I haven’t had to deliberately restart the router for some time. Even micro power cuts (less than a minute long) seem to do the trick.

My granny remembers that back in the day, they could listen in on their neighbours phone calls, and join in if they wanted, just by lifting their handset - sort of an early version of Zoom I guess.
    That would have been with a party lines. They were reasonably common in many areas up until perhaps the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    That would have been with a party lines. They were reasonably common in many areas up until perhaps the mid 80's.
    Yup - when I lived and worked in the Marlborough Sounds in the seventies there was a party line down each side of Pelorus and Kenepuru. A dozen or so subscribers on each. The individual subscribers had a morse code ring and the wall sets had a handle to turn to generate the rings - one turn for a dot and three for a dash. Since the lines were No 8 wire strung on fence insulators between trees with earth return, threre were always plenty of clicks and buzzes, so no one could tell if some other party had picked up their reciever to listen in to your call - talk about a bush telegraph!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    What is fascinating is that as technology advances, the quality of the service seems to decline. I remember back in my teens and early twenties, all we had was copper connections. Not even VOIP, just standard copper. And the call quality was perfect. Far better than what you get these days with cellular.
    I've had the opposite experience. 20 years ago, our landlines was garbage. About once a year it wouldn't work at all then faults would switch us to a different pair and it would work ok for a bit longer. Long live Fibre and cell.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DazRaz View Post
    I've had the opposite experience. 20 years ago, our landlines was garbage. About once a year it wouldn't work at all then faults would switch us to a different pair and it would work ok for a bit longer. Long live Fibre and cell.
    That’s true. With the copper lines you can get problems with cable moisture, weak joins and then the sockets can deteriorate and oxidise/cake up etc. I am not sure those problems are an issue with fibre. Perhaps it us still too young for them to be an issue yet.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    That’s a drawback. Although with the number of our power cuts I haven’t had to deliberately restart the router for some time. Even micro power cuts (less than a minute long) seem to do the trick.

My granny remembers that back in the day, they could listen in on their neighbours phone calls, and join in if they wanted, just by lifting their handset - sort of an early version of Zoom I guess.
    I imagine your parents would as well. We were on a party line until well into the fifties.

Advanced Member

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyber-...K3OO6WCXSRXWU/

Poor buggar...they got onto the camera in his computer and "helped" him.
    Aweful !

Guru

New or Old?
    Best practice
    "before I sent the money, I rang the solicitor and verbally ensured the account number and account name".

"One word saves Perth man’s $6m fortune from being stolen by hackers"
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...BQGMLMS5IRPEI/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyber-...K3OO6WCXSRXWU/

Poor buggar...they got onto the camera in his computer and "helped" him.
    Aweful !
    Absolutely unreal. The family had to conduct the entire investigation themselves and handed it to the 'police' on a plate and they did nothing.

Meanwhile someone was misgendered at a party in Ponsonby and police helicopters were sent from all over the country to attend the crime. '

UN forces said to be heading to NZ also.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Absolutely unreal. The family had to conduct the entire investigation themselves and handed it to the 'police' on a plate and they did nothing.

Meanwhile someone was misgendered at a party in Ponsonby and police helicopters were sent from all over the country to attend the crime. '

UN forces said to be heading to NZ also.
    I don't think it's a New Zealand-specific problem - I think you'll find that police forces across the world are not equipped to cope with fraud.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    I don't think it's a New Zealand-specific problem - I think you'll find that police forces across the world are not equipped to cope with fraud.

Interesting.

They can't check the cameras at the gasser?

If a citizen was reported at the same gasser at the same time muttering 'men can't have babies' believe me the cameras would be checked real fast. But stealing life saving from an 82 year old won't get their interest.
    Last edited by SailorRob; 03-01-2023 at 05:14 PM.