sharetrader

Default Imputation Credits

Apologies for probably what is a dumb question or one which has been covered before, I'm just trying to get my head around ASX stocks and tax.

For Kiwi investors holding ASX stocks — what's the deal with imputation credits from ASX listed companies?

Say I was going to invest in a dual listed company like ANZ, would it be better to invest on the ASX or NZX,
    how that affects returns and tax.
    Does buying on NZX deliver the same dividends and does ASX deliver the same imputation credits?

Any advise here welcome :-)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
    Apologies for probably what is a dumb question or one which has been covered before, I'm just trying to get my head around ASX stocks and tax.

For Kiwi investors holding ASX stocks — what's the deal with imputation credits from ASX listed companies?

Say I was going to invest in a dual listed company like ANZ, would it be better to invest on the ASX or NZX,
    how that affects returns and tax.
    Does buying on NZX deliver the same dividends and does ASX deliver the same imputation credits?

Any advise here welcome :-)
    As far as I understand it, all shareholders get the same dividend with the same imputation credit if any, no matter whether the listing is on the NZX or ASX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    As far as I understand it, all shareholders get the same dividend with the same imputation credit if any, no matter whether the listing is on the NZX or ASX.
    I had MHJ shares which have a primary asx listing and secondary nzx listing.
    The asx shares I bought carried imputation credits, no problem there.

Guru

You have to distinguish between Imputation credits passed on to NZ shareholders by some Australian companies which have income earned in NZ, and franking credits that apply to Australian companies which cannot be used.

The IRD is always a good place to start.

https://www.ird.govt.nz/search#q=aus...0credits&t=All

Legend

Aussie Withholding Tax deducted yet is another kettle of worms

Regardless of whether there are NZ Imputation credits or not, Aust witholding Tax should
    still appear as a credit for tax deducted (Foreign Tax as it is) - and reclaimable by NZ holders

Some NZ trading platforms out there still haven't got their heads around the fact that
    this should be reclaimable by NZ Holders in their reporting and included in tax credits
    for reporting as these platforms do to IRD etc
    Last edited by nztx; 13-05-2022 at 05:27 PM.