sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

RIP Brian.

His balanced, calm and reasoned analysis in interviews and publications will be sorely missed in New Zealand.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Very sad news. Shame he didnt get to enjoy a long retirement.

Very sad. I always enjoyed reading his articles. He had such a huge amount of wisdom to share.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

RIP Brian. Condolences to the family. A softly spoken gentleman but made his point very clear. I remember Brian Gaynor and Bruce Sheppard at the AGM of a...not going to name the company....over 20 years ago and they gave the CEO a good bollocking for giving themselves a pay rise when the company made a great big loss and it put a smile on my face. Thank you for standing up for us smaller shareholders.
    Last edited by see weed; 16-05-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Condolences to his family and friends. His insight and style will be missed. He put some good reading material out there.

On the doghouse

I can't believe this. One of the few market commentators who could be relied upon to cut through the corporate spin doctors, has himself 'spun out', and far too early. I knew he had stepped back from day to day executive responsibilities at Milford Asset management in 2019. But somehow I imagined that his wise counsel was still there in the background, available to those who had 'stood on his shoulders' and continued to build Milford into what it is today.

Condolences to his wife and surviving son. So long Brian, thanks for your contribution, and rest in peace.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Wrote his articles in a way that even i could understand.Thanks

For some reason, I remember this article that Brian wrote back in 2017, especially the part comparing MPG with Scales. His insights and words of wisdom will be missed, condolences to his family.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/brian-gaynor-ipos-assess-with-care-before-you-decide-to-invest/TUK6CFAZYQOF6PKOYNKVNHWSFQ/?c_id=3&objectid=11935390

"Metro Glass, another poorly performing private equity IPO, also appointed most of its directors just days before its prospectus was issued. Chairman Sir John Goulter, Bill Roest and Russell Chenu were appointed just two days before the IPO was launched while the other two directors were the chief executive, Nigel Rigby, and Neville Buch. The latter was a partner of Australian private equity firm Crescent Capital Partners.

What understanding did Goulter, Roest and Chenu have of the complex glass sector and how could three new directors challenge the two existing directors, both of whom had detailed knowledge of the company?
    By contrast, the chairman of well-performing Scales Corporation had two years' experience with the company, as had two other directors.

In addition, most of the other Scales directors had extensive agribusiness experience.
    Companies with directors who have company and industry experience generally perform better than those that appoint individuals with little experience just before a prospectus is registered."

Advanced Member

Condolences to his family. RIP Brian

sad to hear , i enjoyed his articles
    one step ahead of the herd