sharetrader
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

A good read of the rort which is going to be history in July - Auckland Regional Fuel Tax.

Heather du Plessis-Allan: Good riddance to the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax

It's official, the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax is gone-burger from 1 July.

Aucklanders will not have to pay $11.5 cents a litre more than everyone else in the country every time they fill up their cars. Toyota Hilux drivers will save $9.20 a fill and Toyota Corolla drivers will save $5.75 a fill.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

That was a rort, wasn’t it? Remember what Auckland was supposed to get for that?

We were supposed to get upgrades to Mill Road, the road I'm obsessed with because of how desperately the city needs it- running from Manukau down to Drury as an alternative to the jam-packed Southern Motorway.

Did we get it? We paid for it for six years.

Did we get it? No, of course we didn't.

Did we get the Lake Road upgrade we’ve been talking about since at least 2017? No, we didn't get that.

Did we get the Glenvar Road upgrade we’ve been talking about since at 2016? No, we didn't get that. And the list goes on.

Instead, the money got used for cycle lanes and speed humps. And do I need to remind you about those speed humps?

How about the one got laid in Three Kings, then got ripped up two years later and laid again because AT stuffed up- and it cost us $600k? How about that one?

Mayor Wayne Brown is not happy about the loss of funding. He's released a list of projects at the end of a press release, with no explanation for the list.

The inference, I'm thinking, is that these are the projects that are going to get cut, because they haven't got the funding.

Let me list some:

Mangere West cycleway.
    Road safety programme, including high-risk intersections.
    The safe speeds programme, aimed at reducing vehicle speeds near schools.
    Small scale projects to improve local cycling connections.
    New low cost cycle ways to improve safety and travel options.
    Upgrades to multi-modes roads, paths, and intersections to support Kainga Ora.

I doubt very much that many Aucklanders are going to cry tears over this because of one reason.

We have paid this under the mistaken belief that we were paying for better roads. What we got instead was AT squandering money on their own inability to just construct a basic pedestrian crossing.

But more importantly, what we got was a city that is now more congested and harder to drive around.

So as far as I can see, very little has improved for what we've paid, and much of what we're seeing is worse.

I'm happy to defund Auckland Transport.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    A good read of the rort which is going to be history in July - Auckland Regional Fuel Tax.

Heather du Plessis-Allan: Good riddance to the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax

It's official, the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax is gone-burger from 1 July.

Aucklanders will not have to pay $11.5 cents a litre more than everyone else in the country every time they fill up their cars. Toyota Hilux drivers will save $9.20 a fill and Toyota Corolla drivers will save $5.75 a fill.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

That was a rort, wasn’t it? Remember what Auckland was supposed to get for that?

We were supposed to get upgrades to Mill Road, the road I'm obsessed with because of how desperately the city needs it- running from Manukau down to Drury as an alternative to the jam-packed Southern Motorway.

Did we get it? We paid for it for six years.

Did we get it? No, of course we didn't.

Did we get the Lake Road upgrade we’ve been talking about since at least 2017? No, we didn't get that.

Did we get the Glenvar Road upgrade we’ve been talking about since at 2016? No, we didn't get that. And the list goes on.

Instead, the money got used for cycle lanes and speed humps. And do I need to remind you about those speed humps?

How about the one got laid in Three Kings, then got ripped up two years later and laid again because AT stuffed up- and it cost us $600k? How about that one?

Mayor Wayne Brown is not happy about the loss of funding. He's released a list of projects at the end of a press release, with no explanation for the list.

The inference, I'm thinking, is that these are the projects that are going to get cut, because they haven't got the funding.

Let me list some:

Mangere West cycleway.
    Road safety programme, including high-risk intersections.
    The safe speeds programme, aimed at reducing vehicle speeds near schools.
    Small scale projects to improve local cycling connections.
    New low cost cycle ways to improve safety and travel options.
    Upgrades to multi-modes roads, paths, and intersections to support Kainga Ora.

I doubt very much that many Aucklanders are going to cry tears over this because of one reason.

We have paid this under the mistaken belief that we were paying for better roads. What we got instead was AT squandering money on their own inability to just construct a basic pedestrian crossing.

But more importantly, what we got was a city that is now more congested and harder to drive around.

So as far as I can see, very little has improved for what we've paid, and much of what we're seeing is worse.

I'm happy to defund Auckland Transport.
    Wayne Brown is not a spendthrift left-winger. The loss of the fuel tax won’t necessarily create a more efficient AT. However it will pass the burden away from raid users and onto rate-payers. Wellington probably wants to wave the tax-cut ensign and kick the funding deficit further down the road.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 09-02-2024 at 08:35 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Wayne Brown is not a spendthrift left-winger. The loss of the fuel tax won’t necessarily create a more efficient AT. However it will pass the burden away from raid users and onto rate-payers. Wellington probably wants to wave the tax-cut ensign and kick the funding deficit further down the road.

I think Wayne's promised the burden won't be passed on to Ratepayers as we're already looking at a 7.5% increase in Rates this year. He says they'll have to find other ways of funding it & like Simeon Brown says things like toll roads, & PPP's though that model doesnt seem to be viable for private investors anymore.

Incidentally despite the 11.5C petrol tax in Auckland, Ive noticed petrol prices around Auckland often seem cheaper or no more than petrol prices down country.

We have a major problem with efficiency when it comes to building infrastructure (or anything for that matter)
    Amazing to think Auckland's Harbour Bridge was built in the space of 4 years at a cost of 7,516,000 pounds, which is $246.5 million in todays money.
    Imagine how long it would take to build the Harbour Bridge today!
    We'll still be in the planning & submission phase after 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    I think Wayne's promised the burden won't be passed on to Ratepayers as we're already looking at a 7.5% increase in Rates this year. He says they'll have to find other ways of funding it & like Simeon Brown says things like toll roads, & PPP's though that model doesnt seem to be viable for private investors anymore.

Incidentally despite the 11.5C petrol tax in Auckland, Ive noticed petrol prices around Auckland often seem cheaper or no more than petrol prices down country.

We have a major problem with efficiency when it comes to building infrastructure (or anything for that matter)
    Amazing to think Auckland's Harbour Bridge was built in the space of 4 years at a cost of 7,516,000 pounds, which is $246.5 million in todays money.
    Imagine how long it would take to build the Harbour Bridge today!
    We'll still be in the planning & submission phase after 4 years.
    Bring in the Italians or Chinese and they will build the Harbour bridge in 3 years, on time and under budget.

NZ would not want that thought as it would show just how inefficient, useless, lazy and incompetent NZ building industry players are.
    Last edited by Balance; 09-02-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Legend

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/averag...H3AR4YPKCGZCY/

Average Auckland household facing extra $613 for rates and water bills this year under council’s long-term plan

How to really Brown Off all the poor local Auckland peasants directly & indirectly on the receiving end
    of this exercise in Auckland Council generosity to fill Council coffers and enrich the layers of Council
    paper shufflers and other unproductive gophers

Have these Council morons not heard that there are harder times out there ?
    Last edited by nztx; 20-02-2024 at 08:44 PM.

Legend

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/long-b...FAFMNQ2UIE3WI/

Long Bay beach signs replaced with messages mocking Auckland Council

Many in the community were disappointed by the actions of Auckland Council and now someone has added three signs to the beach in apparent protest.

Council Morons trying hard to Brown Off another lot of Locals
    Last edited by nztx; 22-02-2024 at 10:00 PM.

When will Paula Bennett 's hubris end?
    Can anyone outline any major achievements in Bennett's political career?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckla...I2V5F72AWLA5I/

Guru

If that wench ever managed to become Auckland Mayor I would leave Auckland.

Guru

She's a Westie whose going to shake things up.

Well, I think she would be better than wayne brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    She's a Westie whose going to shake things up.

Well, I think she would be better than wayne brown.
    And how is she going to shake things up?
    Sounds like a slogan with no substance.

I'm still waiting to hear of any significant achievements she made during her time at the Beehive.