sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Permanent Newbie

Default Searching for old posts

Just wondering if there was a way to find old posts. I try the search box but this usually just lists a lot of threads without showing individual posts.

Is there a way to find specific old posts rather than the whole thread?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Just wondering if there was a way to find old posts. I try the search box but this usually just lists a lot of threads without showing individual posts.

Have you used the 'Advanced Search'?

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Have you used the 'Advanced Search'?
    Yep and it drastically reduces the number of threads but I still need to wade through the threads to find the specific post?

Any way to refine this further.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

You can 'search a forum'. That will produce a list of thread topics. You can then select any individual thread from that list and and refine your search by using the 'search a thread' function. That second search will give you a series individual posts within a thread. Is that what you are after?

Another trick I use, if I am looking for a post in relation to a particular stock exchange announcement, is to pin down the exact date of that announcement, using the news section of 'Stocknessmonster.com'. Then because each post in 'Sharetrader' is dated, I go back manually to match the date stamp and read the posts from that point.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-12-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    You can 'search a forum'. That will produce a list of thread topics. You can then select any individual thread from that list and and refine your search by using the 'search a thread' function. That second search will give you a series individual posts within a thread. Is that what you are after?

Another trick I use, if I am looking for a post in relation to a particular stock exchange announcement, is to pin down the exact date of that announcement, using the news section of 'Stocknessmonster.com'. Then because each post in 'Sharetrader' is dated, I go back manually to match the date stamp and read the posts from that point.

SNOOPY
    Thanks Snoopy

Now that you have pointed it out I see the "search a thread" option which is what I was after all along.

Many thanks.

Everyone must be wondering what I am on about.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    This is one of my favourites, hiding in plain sight you can view all of any users posts on any thread in a list without anyone else's posts. This is great if you follow a certain poster and are interested only in what they are saying without the noise of other replies.

1.Go to a thread and hover your mouse over the number under 'replies' - you'll see how many replies you've made to that thread.
    Attachment 13984

2. Then, click on that number of replies, it brings up a list of all posters on the thread with the highest number of posts at the top. (see whose got the most to say, lol).
    Attachment 13985

3. Then for the posters you're interested in, go the right and click on the 'number' of their posts. Voila, a list of everything they've posted on the thread, and no one else.
    Attachment 13986
    There have been one or two tweaks to the forum management software since this thread emerged. What BaaBaa says above still works but there is now another way to do the same thing.

1/ Go to the thread you are interested in and open it.
    2/ Hover over the 'Search Thread' option in the grey rectangular box, immediately below the thread header.
    3/ Click 'Advanced Search'. A different page will come up with all sorts of search options. Ignore them all except for the box that says 'User Name'.
    4/ Put the name of the poster from who you want to to list all of their posts on their thread in the 'User name' box.
    5/ Hit the 'Search Now' button in the bottom right hand corner of the 'Search for Posts' box.

This will bring up a list of all posts on that thread, in chronological order, of the author you have selected. The box says it is finding the 'latest posts by user', but my experience is that it now finds all of them. Before the search was restricted to a maximum report size IIRC of six pages of posts. But now it seems that limit has been removed.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-07-2023 at 10:22 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7