sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Membaa

Default Give Reputation and Report Posts

Reputation is everything, over time you'll see some members post a lot but strangely it doesn't hit the mark with others and they have dismal reputation, whereas other posts a lot less and have a lot of reputation. Sometimes posters will really upset you, and that can be reported.

It's simple, if you 'like' what someone posts, give them reputation by clicking this little button at the bottom of every post. Reputation is something other members can give, or take. You can also give negative reputation but that is a bit controversial with some and you'll likely get some blow-back, albeit a valid feedback.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.14.52 PM.png

Conversely, if you're upset or really offended by a post, for reasons that are probably contrary to the Sharetrader T&C's, click this little button at the bottom of every post to 'Report' the post so that the moderators know about it. It's simple as well, and write why you're upset with the post.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.15.07 PM.png

Edit: Ok, those screenshots are a bit confusing, the STAR is reputation, and the TRIANGLE is report a post.
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 19-07-2022 at 06:28 PM.

Membaa

Default Advanced, Guru, Legend? It's all nonsense.

Don't confuse the members 'User title' with their reputation. Did you know that;

1. the user title is like, Advanced Member, Guru, Legend etc, but it has nothing to do with trading or investing experience, it's just a link to how many posts a member makes. So make a few thousand posts and you can be a Guru or a Legend as well. (note: Off Market posts don't count towards your total post-count, or therefore your 'title')

2. the user title can be changed, just go to 'Settings' and 'Edit Profile' and you can type whatever 'User title' you like. I like Membaa, but I'm actually a Guru because I have a few thousands posts .. apparently, LOL.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.01.49 PM.jpg

Reputation is everything, user titles are nothing much.

Great thread Baa Baa - A few new ones for me

How about when you want to reply to a post with the "reply with quote" but, you only want to quote a portion of the posters entire quote ?
    Does this make me a slow learner. I've only been here since 2003 !

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    How about when you want to reply to a post with the "reply with quote" but, you only want to quote a portion of the posters entire quote ?
    Once the full quoted post shows up, as you describe, you can manually edit the quoted post deleting the information that you do not wish to reply to, while leaving the text you do want to reply to. (In this example, I simply erased the last line of the post I was) replying to

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 19-07-2022 at 09:04 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Once the full quoted post shows up, as you describe, you can manually edit the quoted post deleting the information that you do not wish to reply to, while leaving the text you do want to reply to. (In this example, I simply erased the last line of the post I was) replying to

SNOOPY
    Thanks, that is what I have been doing but thought there must be an easier way.

Membaa

Default Multi Quote

So who can show us how to use Multi Quote and what it's for?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    'Multi quote' can be used when you want to reply to more than one other post, in a single post of yours.

As an example, if I want to reply to two posts in a single reply post, I find the older post first and click the 'multiquote' option (the quote sign with the plus symbol next to it). Then I go to the newer post and hit 'Reply with quote' as in a normal reply. What appears in the post I am creating is:

1/ All the text from the post I flagged as a multi-quote.
    2/ All the text from the post on which I clicked 'Reply to quote'.

Both appear as separate quoted text boxes. I then add my own reply text, and post my message as normal once finished.

Be warned that after you post your reply, the post that you 'multi-quoted' still has the 'multi-quote' check mark attached to it. If you don't want to re-quote that first message again on the same thread when you quote your next reply -to an entirely different post on that same thread-, then you have to go and manually uncheck the multi-quoted post. Alternatively you can simply close down your browser and reopen it again. Previously multiquoted posts are 'forgotten' if you do that.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 23-07-2022 at 03:55 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    'Multi quote' can be used when you want to reply to more than one other post, in a single post of yours.

As an example, if I want to reply to two posts in a single reply post, I find the older post first and click the 'multiquote' option (the quote sign with the plus symbol next to it). Then I go to the newer post and hit 'Reply with quote' as in a normal reply. What appears in the post I am creating is:

Both appear as separate quoted text boxes. I then add my own reply text, and post my message as normal once finished.

Be warned that after you post your reply, the post that you 'multi-quoted' still has the 'multi-quote' check mark attached to it. If you don't want to re-quote that first message again on the same thread when you quote your next reply -to an entirely different post on that same thread-, then you have to go and manually uncheck the multi-quoted post. Alternatively you can simply close down your browser and reopen it again. Previously multiquoted posts are 'forgotten' if you do that.

SNOOPY
    Brilliant, thanks @Snoopy

Dilettante

SNOOPY
    Much appreciated. I had never figured this one out !!