sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    The world's first ultra inclusive political system, where instead of one vote per person, it's... ???

You might be be interested to hear wider voting powers for some people rather than others, already exist.

If you own properties in several different areas, e.g. say like Luxon's 7 houses & many of our MP's, you get to vote multiple times in local government elections & vote for Board members not once but in each of the local body areas.
    There's a problem with this in as much as out of community property owners can influence the local govt election outcomes & vote multiple times.
    The Ratepayer roll or Property Vote was abolished by Labour in the late 1980's but reinstated by National in 1991.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 04-08-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    You might be be interested to hear wider voting powers for some people rather than others, already exist.

If you own properties in several different areas, e.g. say like Luxon's 7 houses & many of our MP's, you get to vote multiple times in local government elections & vote for Board members not once but in each of the local body areas.
    There's a problem with this in as much as out of community property owners can influence the local govt election outcomes & vote multiple times.
    The Ratepayer roll or Property Vote was abolished by Labour in the late 1980's but reinstated by National in 1991.
    Rightly so - NZ has always been a nation of property owners, and property owners should rightly have a say about the local political issues affecting them.

What is at stake in NZ is the introduction of apartheid into our democracy - there are some more equal than others like it was in South Africa because of their race.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/472178/new-law-gives-ngai-tahu-right-to-appoint-two-environment-canterbury-councillors

Who killed off the moa?
    Last edited by Balance; 04-08-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

One house = one set of rates to pay = one vote. What's the problem?

What's more, there is no racial regulations (eg apartheid) around who can/cannot buy a house.
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    One house = one set of rates to pay = one vote. What's the problem?

What's more, there is no racial regulations (eg apartheid) around who can/cannot buy a house.
    That’s what the Labour Party & Greens would love to introduce - racial preferences when it comes to properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    That’s what the Labour Party & Greens would love to introduce - racial preferences when it comes to properties.
    The Greens are an existential threat to non-Maori living in New Zealand.
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

Guru

Hopefully they return the land to the animals, to whom it once belonged before we all ruined the place.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Rightly so - NZ has always been a nation of property owners, and property owners should rightly have a say about the local political issues affecting them.

What is at stake in NZ is the introduction of apartheid into our democracy - there are some more equal than others like it was in South Africa because of their race.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...ry-councillors

Who killed off the moa?

Indeed Property owners do have a say in local govt & issues affecting them.
    But the question was, should Property owners of multiple properties have wider voting powers than other NZ'ers, which creates an inequality, & if an exception is made for this group, other groups will strongly argue exceptions can be made for them as well.

You have to ask yourself, is local govt there to represent the interests of property owners, or the welfare of the whole community & all residents ?
    Because if say I live in Auckland but own rental properties in Tauranga, Wellington & the South Island, although I get to vote in all those places, I might have completely different priorities to the people who actually live there.
    While the permanent residents may want libraries, parks & pot holes in the road fixed, I may want the rates to be as low as possible, vote for councillors who promise drastic cuts & bugger the amenities.

Im not advocating a position on this, but just pointing out its a bit more complicated than first appearances.
    I think its important to give things a bit of a stir, question our assumptions & set beliefs.
    Sometimes that leads to a more nuanced & thoughtful position on issues.
    esp important as we head deeper & deeper into a more polarised society characterised by misinformation & via advanced algorithms reinforcement of existing held opinions.

On the use of the word Apartheid. It's an Afrikaans word far too loosely & casually thrown around, it refers specifically to a system of institutionalised brutal racial oppression of a black majority, by a white minority in the Republic of Sth Africa from 1948-1994.
    Completely irrelevant to NZ & to apply it to current issues around Co-governance, apart from being incorrect, disrespectful & offensive to those who suffered under that brutal regime.