sharetrader
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Please re re read, and understand the difference between most and several.

Regardless, you present a perception that Police are a bricks and mortar organisation, rather than a mobile responsive one.

You like your cozzers having a cuppa at the office, rather than in the community?

They could learn from MP Anna Lorck, having street meetings.
    No one can accuse her of hiding in an ivory tower.

Much Police time nowadays involves mental heath cases, 2 constables being held up at the hospital for what seems to be a very long time while assessments are done on the patient.

Cop shops on every street corner doesn't help with that and other cases.

If assaulted, are you going to present your bloodied face to your 'local', or dial 111 and expect them to come to you?

Spend some time checking time and distance on Google on those relocations, and see if your concern is still valid.

Then, the acid test is whether Labour reopens them, and you want taxpayers to pay more.

Im sorry but we are not going to agree on this.
    Think what you like but I'm sticking with the evidence backed research.
    There's been considerable research into the detrimental effects on crime of closing down local community police stations.
    The evidence is absolutely clear,

Local police infrastructure matters for crime outcomes.

Closing police stations results in increased car theft, burglary & assaults in those areas.

Closing police stations in local communities reduces deterrence due to a lower visibility of the local police.

Police Stations represent an important & visible aspect of the organisation, in other words they act as a strong deterrent to crime.

Looking at the list of closures, many areas of Auckland lost their local police stations with staff being relocated to existing stations miles away.
    With no local police presence, there's no deterrent & the perpetrators of assaults & burglaries are long gone by the time our "highly mobile police" arrive at the scene.

I live in a wealthy part of Auckland where theres virtually no street crime & there's more than a few neighbours whose eyebrows are raised at the numbers of our 'highly mobile police' who congregate at our local cafe every day, waiting for a call to the next assault victim or shooting in miles away West or South Auckland.

Its a tough job and although the govt has recruited over 3,600 new police recruits, around 2,000 have left the police in the same period, so maybe they need a temporary break in a safe area where they can totally relax & know they're not going to be hassled or confronted by an obnoxious idiot.
    But obviously it would be better if they were actually in those communities rather than miles away waiting for a 111 call to respond to.

Lots of research & evidence on this, e.g.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...cid=rss_sd_all

Advanced Member

Thanks for providing a link which I will absorb when I have more time.

In the meantime, I can say that I did not notice Coddington House in Hastings being treated with reverence by crims, and in fact it copped its share of tagging.

For those that don't know, even a city the size of Napier does not have a manned Police reception area after hours, so may as well not be there, in terms of service delivery.
    If you were to go there, a police car would come back from patrol to see you if 111 dispatch thought necessary.

Advanced Member

Furthermore, if you were to be arrested, you would not be taken inside, but placed in the patrol car and driven to Hastings for your free nights accommodation.
    19 km.
    Not the mere 4.9km from the relocated Otara to Ormiston station some give as a reason for increased crime.

If the halfway point between those 2 is 2.45 km before they used to overlap, then if there was a police station every 2.45 km, would crime reduce?

I don't think so.

But if you compare the crime rate and distance between police stations in the South Island and South Auckland, it may say something about the demographic?
    Last edited by Getty; 17-10-2022 at 11:40 AM.