sharetrader
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarden Direct

Quote Originally Posted by ithaka View Post
    I have trading accounts with both Jarden & ASB. Although the Jarden signup process was a bit of a pain, I much prefer the Jarden trading platform.
    Interesting ... and given that I so far didn't use the ASB trading platform, i.e. can't yet compare - where do you see the strengths and weaknesses of Jarden platform vs ASB platform?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interesting ... and given that I so far didn't use the ASB trading platform, i.e. can't yet compare - where do you see the strengths and weaknesses of Jarden platform vs ASB platform?
    One of the most important difference is that ASB pays no interest on cash balances up to $50k and only 1% for balance over $50k. Jarden currently pays 3.3% on cash balances.
    Fundamentally they both do the job but the Jarden platform is modern. The ASB platform feels as if it was built at least 10 years ago.
    I also quite like the Shareclarity info supplied with the Jarden account. The (very limited) Morningstar info supplied with ASB is of no use to me as I am already a Morningstar subscriber.

Anyway - currently waiting for ASB to complete the setting up of my trading account ... but to be fair - they said it might take up to 5 working days (i.e. they still have three days left).
    Just to close the loop - just got an email that trading account is set up. So it took ASB a bit more than one working day to set up the trading account (where they said 3 to 5 days).

That's pretty good ... under-promising and over-performing. I like it.

Will in due course report on my impressions with their trading platform, but for that I really will need some time to play the system. Noticed that they give me access to Morningstar. Not sure yet, whether I see this as a benefit, but I assume it won't be worse than Direct Broking's connection to ShareClarity (i.e. providing info which is sometimes interesting, often entertaining, but rarely adding value).
    ----

Guru

Cheers.

And yes, I gave the Customer Experience team at Jarden a piece of my mind ;

To be fair - while I had contact over these two weeks with at least three of their staff who behaved like badly programmed robots ... in the meantime I have as well some exchange with a staff member (might be a manager, not sure) who apologized, thanked for my feedback (s. above) and promised to bring this all to the attention to the responsible departments to help them to learn from this debacle.

Maybe the whole thing will at least help future customers with Jarden Direct.

I have to admit as well, that Direct Broking always treated me well over the last 20 years or so - I assume this whole thing is a Jarden issue (new process / new software / untrained - or really badly trained - Jarden staff). Not sure what happend with the great team from Direct Broking?

Anyway - currently waiting for ASB to complete the setting up of my trading account ... but to be fair - they said it might take up to 5 working days (i.e. they still have three days left).

Not sure about sharesies - but I admit, this is at least partially due to not knowing enough about their processes. It sounds like a lot of additional paperwork per transaction if you want to keep the shares in your name (which I do).

Anyway - lets call them plan C in case this ASB thing works not out as I hope and expect (but at this stage I am optimistic).
    Apologies for late reply, have been away on holiday. Direct broking under Nigel Wynn (RIP) was a great firm to work for and just a great firm in general. It went through a few iterations but the core of staff remained until about 2008 give or take (I was overseas) ANZ took over and that was the start of a large exodus and cull of staff. A few remained but once Jarden took over that was about it and I recognise no one anymore from the old Direct Broking days.

Thats the way of the world and people move on. But I am not sure if Jarden are the right outfit to take DB forward. ANZ sure were not, I suppose Jarden is an improvement but not sure where the end game is.

Good luck with ASB, hope it works for you, but like another poster said, just watch the interest rates on your on call money, now that rates are moving up.

You're not wrong! I haven't used my ASB account for probably six years. I just logged in and the platform is exactly as it was back then. Mind-numbingly blah, no customisation options, intrusive, annoying yellow "click here" banners, and ugly as sin.

Poles apart from any other platform I have used or looked at. I think they need a new IT department.

Quote Originally Posted by ithaka View Post
    I have trading accounts with both Jarden & ASB. Although the Jarden signup process was a bit of a pain, I much prefer the Jarden trading platform.

Dilettante

Sounds shocking BP. I had a similar experience with ANZ recently. Been with them for 25 years with all my banking business except a credit card with Kiwibank and not one missed payment or problem with anything for all of that time and a reasonably significant business through our accounts. As Kiwibank has not gone with Apple Pay I decided to cancel my Kiwibank Platinum card and apply for an ANZ Platinum card.
    OMG, what a process. I was treated no different to a new 20 year old customer with endless questions, expenses forecast etc etc. They even asked me to explain a $10 monthly payment to Tesla (automatic software upgrades) to assess whether they thought this necessary.
    When I finally got the card, about 4 weeks after starting the process, I was so pis.ed off with the bank that I felt like cutting it up and cancel it but took a deep breath :-)
    Last edited by iceman; 05-01-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Advanced Member

I've done the change over . Just had a look in preferences and I saw that I have to give them permission to Sharesight , this did not automatically cutover .

So far so good otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    I've done the change over . Just had a look in preferences and I saw that I have to give them permission to Sharesight , this did not automatically cutover .

There is another thread discussing this transition:
    https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...Direct+Broking

In summary - if people didn't had previous exposure to Jarden direct, the transition can be rather smooth and the new platform offers more information, but does not seem to be as good to provide portfolio overviews (at least I didn't found yet the tidy Direct broking tabs).

If you had however previous exposure to Jarden Direct, you are during the transition process in gods hands (and worse - in the hands of the Jarden Digital department and the Jarden Customer Service department - and this can mean a lot of pain ;

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...=1#post1006909
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 12-06-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    ----

percy

I tried to open an account with Jardens over the weekend.
    All went well until I got past the first step of putting in my email address.
    Trouble started with password.
    Thought I had it right.
    Then had a phone call with a code.
    Did not have pen and paper handy so must have missed a number.
    Tried logging in,but could not get my password to work.
    4 times trying to get it reset,still no entry.
    Yesterday morning I went into Jarden's ChCh office.Very helpful scanning my details and emailing them to me.But no further help.
    Bank a/c downloaded OK but other two did not.
    I gave up.
    Went to ASB at The Palms.
    Very helpful and all went well.
    Just told to wait 3 days before my online trading would be set up..
    Last edited by percy; 13-06-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post

Thanks for this. I hadn't noticed the need to do this