sharetrader

Hybrid View

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Approaching retirement I am concerned about recent media coverage of increasingly sophisticated scamming depriving people of their savings. Is online banking becoming too risky for large amounts of cash . If so what alternatives are there?Public Trust used to have on call and term deposit accounts which were government guaranteed and not able to be accessed online. However this facility was closed several years ago. Any ideas advice would be gratefully received
    Wife and I are retired.
    Wife has a Westpac savings account which is not accessible online,which has a very healthy balance.
    We have a joint account with Westpac All online.Everyday for paying bills.And two Savings accounts.
    Also my Bankcard.
    Wife has a separate Bankcard .Payments for both Bankcards are from our everyday account.
    To spread our risk we both have cash management accounts with Craigs.Usually have healthy balances.Craigs use ANZ.
    My only worry is online merchants when using my Credit card and giving them the number on the back of my card.
    I do a lot of shopping on line and never had any issues.
    I have rates,and insurances direct debited,and pay other accounts online.Again never any issues.
    I give share registers my bank details but I am the only person who knows my online bank account number and password.
    The only issue I could have is cancelling a direct debit,such as The Press.You have to get them to stop it../
    I do not have a cell phone so have never done phone banking.
    Last edited by percy; 18-01-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Wife and I are retired.
    My only worry is online merchants when using my Credit card and giving them the number on the back of my card.
    I do a lot of shopping on line and never had any issues.
    I have rates,and insurances direct debited,and pay other accounts online.Again never any issues..
    I use WISE a lot for currency conversion, but another helpful feature I've started to use are their "Digital Credit Cards".
    From within their application you can generate a new credit card, make your payment, then destroy the card.
    Makes me much more comfortable when buying things online especially on international sites.

It would be great if NZ banks took note of this feature.
    Last edited by 676767; 19-01-2023 at 07:26 PM.

Guru

Just had a cold call on my mobile from someone saying they are from NZ Assist

They stated they call on behalf of staircase NZ

https://www.staircase.co.nz/?utm_sou...d=GBP_Auckland

Any one else had a call or am I the lucky one???

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Just had a cold call on my mobile from someone saying they are from NZ Assist

They stated they call on behalf of staircase NZ

https://www.staircase.co.nz/?utm_sou...d=GBP_Auckland

Any one else had a call or am I the lucky one???
    Staircase are legitimate check out the FSPR register if in doubt about anyone ...( prob trying to sell you an investment property)

https://fsp-app.companiesoffice.govt...33111710446516