sharetrader
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    I agree. The more measures in place the better-I wasn't dismissing the idea-just saying a lot of people would probably still hand over the information without thinking......
    I like Rabobank's digipass that generates a second random number that you input after first getting into your account with a password as the 2 factor authentication. Takes a few extra seconds, but pretty secure I would have thought and that's just to get into your account, you then have to use it again for another code for any withdrawal. If people get scammed through that procedure then they probably shouldn't be allowed to handle their own finances....
    The hog agrees. Some people are just destined to be scammed.
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

Default Stolem credit card money refunded

We have a $2000 limit on our Mastercard. My wife went to Auckland for a one-day appointment, booked into a motel with our credit card, and for the next week dozens of pizzas from an Auckland pizza shop were being ordered and delivered to local addresses, then a car repair, all on our card account details, away past our $2000 stop-limit. Our bank refunded all the stolen money. I guess the bank and Mastercard make a million dollars from motels for every thousand taken by a crooked motel receptionists.

If we make an unusually large payment on our EFTPOS/online bank account, or one to an unusual place, I get a text message from the bank with a six-digit number on it. I have to type in the number before the money is transferred out.

My biggest problem now is when a legitimate email comes from a financial institution, and I am too suspicious to click its link.
    Last edited by Jiggs; 25-01-2023 at 10:52 PM. Reason: another example I've just recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    My biggest problem now is when a legitimate email comes from a financial institution, and I am too suspicious to click its link.
    The hog suggests you type in the name of the institution into your browser, and try to find what was referred to in the email by navigating the website (search facility is often helpful). If you do this, your risk of being phished is very close to zero, as long as you get the institution's domain name correct…

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    We have a $2000 limit on our Mastercard. My wife went to Auckland for a one-day appointment, booked into a motel with our credit card, and for the next week dozens of pizzas from an Auckland pizza shop were being ordered and delivered to local addresses, then a car repair, all on our card account details, away past our $2000 stop-limit. Our bank refunded all the stolen money. I guess the bank and Mastercard make a million dollars from motels for every thousand taken by a crooked motel receptionists.
    Are you sure it was a 'crooked motel receptionist' that stole your credit card details? If your wife handed those credit card details over the telephone (most credit card transactions are electronic and through secure sites there days), and the receptionist had done this before, then the bank would be looking at such 'manual transactions' as a front line security risk first. You would have to be a fairly dumb receptionist to think you could get away with such a crime.

Modern credit cards with paywave can be skimmed (capturing account numbers and security codes) by a passing pedestrian if they have the right scanning device. My cousin's card got skimmed from his back pocket in London by someone just walking by him at a railway station.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 26-01-2023 at 07:35 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    My cousin's card got skimmed from his back pocket in London by someone just walking by him at a railway station.
    How was this ascertained? Was the person who did this identified on CCTV or similar?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    How was this ascertained? Was the person who did this identified on CCTV or similar?
    Good question, which I had not thought about before. So while chatting to my cousin tonight, I asked him....

My cousin and his wife were at Paddington Station in London, sorting out their travel. Unusually my cousin had his VISA card in his back pocket as a stand alone card, to save him diving into his travel bags to get it. The opportunity this presented for electronic theft, and the timing of subsequent 'stolen transactions' was the reason my cousin decided this was where the card skimming happened. A railway station is also the perfect cover for an opportunistic thief, as all sorts of legitimate people are 'loitering about' with good reason. If his card had been in his wallet with other cards, in that case the electronic signal as read by a scanner would have been corrupted. So my cousin decided Paddington Station was the best opportunity for such electronic theft, given it was the only time his VISA card was in his back pocket and not in his wallet as per normal.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-02-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Guru

Are you sure it was a 'crooked motel receptionist' that stole your credit card details? If your wife handed those credit card details over the telephone (most credit card transactions are electronic and through secure sites there days), and the receptionist had done this before, then the bank would be looking at such 'manual transactions' as a front line security risk first. You would have to be a fairly dumb receptionist to think you could get away with such a crime.

Modern credit cards with paywave can be skimmed (capturing account numbers and security codes) by a passing pedestrian if they have the right scanning device. My cousin's card got skimmed from his back pocket in London by someone just walking by him at a railway station.

SNOOPY
    I guess payWave via phone is more secure in that respect. The card details are loaded onto the iPhone and the card can be put somewhere more discreet. Paywave on the phone needs to be activated by the owner.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I guess payWave via phone is more secure in that respect. The card details are loaded onto the iPhone and the card can be put somewhere more discreet. Paywave on the phone needs to be activated by the owner.
    Can you explain a bit more how Paywave on an iPhone might work? Are you saying that the phone owner must activate it for each transaction by putting in a password or something?

SNOOPY

Guru

Can you explain a bit more how Paywave on an iPhone might work? Are you saying that the phone owner must activate it for each transaction by putting in a password or something?

SNOOPY
    Yes on my phone with apple pay - a double press of a button and then either my face or 6-digit pin does the trick for the card to be debited, when the phone is near the reader terminal.You do not need the physical card.

https://www.visa.co.nz/pay-with-visa...-payments.html
    Last edited by Bjauck; 03-02-2023 at 05:14 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Yes on my phone with apple pay - a double press of a button and then either my face or 6-digit pin does the trick for the card to be debited, when the phone is near the reader terminal.You do not need the physical card.

https://www.visa.co.nz/pay-with-visa...-payments.html
    I don't use anything else these days and feel it is safer than a physical card. Not to mention not having to carry a wallet wherever I go. Got so used to it when in Europe on an extensive visit last year, where everyone uses it, that I moved my credit card from Kiwibank when I got home as they oddly don't offer Apple Pay.