sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trademe 2.0

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kiwical View Post
    I'm a pro TradeMe seller. Have been for 20 years. While the glory days and bidding wars are pretty much gone, I still make a decent living from the website. For casual sellers hocking off that fridge there does seem to be alternative options now. The free selling weekends is a pretty obvious attempt to compete with that. Overall my profits generally increase each year. I have room for more growth but the next stage would be employing staff. I prefer to keep ticking over as a do it all myself sole trader.

It's certainly no dead duck from where I'm sitting. I would very likely invest if it was relisted.
    Would your decision not be based on the listing PRICE????

I only sell on Trademe during "No fees" promotions ... the fees have become extortionate and I believe Facebook Marketplace has already started eroding the customer-base for Trademe. I do the majority of my buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace now.

Personally I find facebook marketplace quicker to sell, higher success rates from selling, and 0 fees means more money for selling the same things.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    Personally I find facebook marketplace quicker to sell, higher success rates from selling, and 0 fees means more money for selling the same things.
    And generally no courier costs - or admin having to send something by courier.

Although plenty of scammers on FB marketplace.....

Yes FB marketplace has it's own set of issues. No buyer protection. Plenty of "no-shows" for sellers. It's all a bit wild west. But if you are buying or selling something locally and tick all the usual safety boxes first it can be good. Surely though FB will eventually attempt to monetise it somehow.

Membaa

My recent experience was a bit disappointing, selling a car, got a couple of emails from punters via the 'trademe ask a question', both of which looked suss, so I didn't reply. Sure enough Trademe emailed me a day later to say those emails were scams and not to respond or click on any links, luckily I hadn't.

Trademe have to sort out, imo, the scum who populate their site and have figured out how to masquerade as Trademe legitimate emails to sellers, when they're not. I haven't figured out how it's easier to scam a seller than a buyer, but I'm not inclined to do so, it's not my problem, Trademe should fix this.

Even being compared to the wild west, full of shonky dealers Facebook marketplace is an embarrassment.

Would I invest again in Trademe, yeah nah? It's past it's prime, needs to show growth, profit and returns to shareholders, which private equity will dress up any way they can, to do for their exit. Eyes on, this is end-of-life exit, which punters pay to own, not a bright future with growth and returns.

Divided yield of 10% and priced on a 8 or 9 PE would be acceptable.

I base this on:

1) Private equity have ruined their name so who’s going to trust them for new listings.
    2) FB market place hard to beat on the household items.
    3) One roof is better than trade me property.
    4) seek is better than trade me jobs.

Trade me win the motor, boats, tractors, diggers used private sales etc. other than that I see no growth so low P/e is appropriate and to make up for it you want double digit div yield.

Just my thoughts

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post

I base this on:

1) Private equity have ruined their name so who’s going to trust them for new listings.

Trade me win the motor, boats, tractors, diggers used private sales etc. other than that I see no growth so low P/e is appropriate and to make up for it you want double digit div yield.

Just my thoughts
    agreed. but the PE and yield would need to be on a very sensible and maintainable basis. None of this "it's only a forecast PE/Yield of X" when X is up miraculously up 20% on the previous year or two which were in turn preceded by years of stagnation or decline. There would need to be an almost anti embarrassment pricing element to it, given the woeful quality of vast majority of floats occurring on the NZX over the last many years. Even then I most likely wouldn't participate. These marketplaces are increasingly filled with rubbish. Facebook marketplace is a scammers paradise. Trademe is probably just better suited to being a secondary to another private equity firm - they can all play hotcakes / musical chairs with it.
    Last edited by Muse; 30-03-2023 at 11:02 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kiwical View Post
    Yes FB marketplace has it's own set of issues. No buyer protection. Plenty of "no-shows" for sellers. It's all a bit wild west. But if you are buying or selling something locally and tick all the usual safety boxes first it can be good. Surely though FB will eventually attempt to monetise it somehow.
    If a product is free, YOU are the product.

Already monetised.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post

I base this on:

Just my thoughts
    Strongly agree and with what Fiordland Moose said.

You can't just invest like Kiwical. There's a little bit more to this game.