sharetrader
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

The 'Company Announcements' are really clumsy now. You used to be able to navigate old announcement very easily. Now it's a hassle so I go direct to the exchanges websites. Which incidentally used to have a link from the DB page but now I have had to set up bookmarks. Ah well...
    Last edited by t.rexjr; 05-07-2023 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Needs an unsettled trades distinction.
    In a way it already does.

I have an unsettled sell trade currently. The Holdings balance correctly reflects that the stock is gone from the portfolio. Similarly, the Cash account balance correctly reflects that the proceeds haven't yet been received.

But then the Total balance of the account is MORE than the aggregate of the Holdings balance and the Cash account balance, by the net amount of the as yet unsettled sale.

I presume that works in reverse for a buy trade. The purchased stock appears immediately in the Holdings balance. The Cash account balance is unchanged because the required sum has not yet been applied to the settlement. But the total balance of the account will be shown as LESS than the aggregate of the Holdings balance and the Cash account balance.

The whole things a dogs breakfast as far as I'm concerned. DB was far superior.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiJohn View Post
    The whole things a dogs breakfast as far as I'm concerned. DB was far superior.
    From my perspective information provided seems pretty much the same as previously in DB. Neither were great and I’m looking forward to improvements going forward. The biggest gripe I have is:
    Looking at my portfolio value….it gives me no idea whether it’s up or down on a specific day. So I have to remember somehow what it was on the last time I looked. Accordingly I keep a separate log. And then secondly, if it is up or down, there is no easy way to see which stocks have driven it there. Sure, I can look at the watch lists. But to figure out where I’ve made or lost I need to also know how many I am holding of each stock.

To get around this, I mirror the whole mess in Yahoo.

I wonder how long before we start to see some improvements ? It must help them to be only maintaining/servicing one platform now.

I'm going to change brokers. Any suggestions? ASB?

Be cool if they could introduce no fee on first trade of the day if it's under 1000 like a certain Aussie broker. Buy only that is.
    Last edited by Nor; 06-07-2023 at 07:31 PM.

I recently created a Jarden account and can tell you it is a million times better than the old ASB platform that hasnt changed in what..? 15 years?

I am not sure what all the complaining is about. The Jarden site is amazing. Shareies is really good too imo.

Im going to use Jarden for long term NZX holds. Sharesies for ASX and spec NZX buys

Mmh - currently have an account with ASB and one with Jarden (for different CSN numbers), and plan to watch the story unfold before I consolidate with one of them.

So far however I must say - Jarden is winning, despite all the hassles. Clear case of being the less ugly turd.
    Better get used to turds ...

For beginners - ASB user interface is inferior (a huge step backward from direct broking, and still ways behind Jarden). ASB's brokerage is different than Jarden direct, and for my preferred parcel size (around $15k) it is 50% dearer (0.3% instead of 0.2%). ASB is however cheaper if you deal with smaller parcels. ASB's habit to send you for every transaction a separate confirmation email can drive one nuts. Buy a parcel of say 5000 shares and be unlucky to buy from plenty of sharesies investors, and you might get between 20 and 40 confirmation messages in your inbox instead of the one confirmation email per day Jarden would send you.

On the bright side ... I start to see as well some benefits in the new Jarden direct platform compared to Direct broking. I find some of the research details quite useful, if they just would provide as well on a separate tab the quick and easy portfolio overview (and changes) direct broking used to offer.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Another positive is that the platform seems pretty stable. The conversion process happened well, no errors. All my shares and watchlists turned up in the new site. Oh, and my cash as well.
    So unless there is a compelling alternative...I will be sticking with them. Better the devil you know.
    Question: Can we have unlimited tickers on the watch lists in the new system ? Haven't checked this, so still maintaining separate ones....General, Property, Aussie, Power etc.
    Would like to combine some. Perhaps to NZ and Aussie with like companies grouped.

I am looking forward to enhancements....but I am not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Another positive is that the platform seems pretty stable. The conversion process happened well, no errors. All my shares and watchlists turned up in the new site. Oh, and my cash as well.
    So unless there is a compelling alternative...I will be sticking with them. Better the devil you know.
    Question: Can we have unlimited tickers on the watch lists in the new system ? Haven't checked this, so still maintaining separate ones....General, Property, Aussie, Power etc.
    Would like to combine some. Perhaps to NZ and Aussie with like companies grouped.

I am looking forward to enhancements....but I am not holding my breath.
    To be fair ... there have been days during the conversion process where I would have liked to get somebody's butt at Jarden to kick. Some residual data from an earlier and thanks to Jarden's fault unsuccessful onboarding attempt clogged up the Jarden database and resulted not in a sensible error message but into sending me during the transfer process into an endless loop. Took three longer sessions with their Customer reps to resolve this issue. But hey, I went through it and finally reached successful the other side. Consider me a survivor of the transfer process ;

After that adventure - another issue recently when I tried (over the weekend) to setup a cash withdrawal and got "unable to connect to remote server" instead of a confirmation of my withdrawal instructions.

Their customer service looked into it the next working day (no 24/7 for them) and thought it was "just a glitch"- and yes, after that I could set up the withdrawal and got my money.

Not sure, whether I would call that so far "pretty stable "for a Banking application, but hey - "pretty" is obviously in the eyes of the beholder.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)